How were your first experiences in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vayu:
Rad rob,

I know you said most of the time. I am just saying hurry up and get down here. The waters nice and warm!

-V

PM sent.

First experience...

Hmm...

Monterey, too tight hood. Got seasick while on the surface and instructor and buddy had to take turns towing me in. Got back on the horse, did my skills, and the next day got hugely excited over a big decorator crab that my instructor handed to me (now I see them all the time). Was totally amazed by all the stuff I almost don't see now because it's so common: sand dollars, starfish, black eye gobies, kelp rockfish.

You always remember your first!

I just siged up for my classes and took one classroom session when the opportunity hit to go to Ft. Lauderdale on business, Of course I extended it and went to visit friends that lived in Key West, and since I knew that there were places you could DO a resort course down there, I decided to take the chance an go for it! At that point I HAD done the Discover Scuba thing in the pool TWICE, and was out on some of Key Wests reefs previously snorkelling, but this was going to be cool!

I did the pool session and then went out for two great dives! Both around the 30- 35 ft depth, and except for my first landing in the sand, kept things well above the reef, didn't kick or kill anything, and lived to tell the tale!!

I started diving in 1975 while I was in college. But because the teacher wasn't actually an instructor, I didn't get certified. So a few years later a friend & I took lessons at a dive shop 70 miles away, and I became certified in early May of 77.

I remember my check out dives like they were yesterday. My wet suit had a few torn spots in it, my BC was a manual inflated vest, and the water was cold. Most of us didn't have hoods (me included), so we stayed between 25 to 30 feet, and didn't go below the thermal cline.

I was cold, tired (we camped out & stayed up too late.), and had the time of my life. Since then I've been to the carribean, the springs in FL, and more lakes & quarries that I can remember. My son is now certified, and if things go as planned, I'll dive with my grandkids before I hang up my fins.

My next adventure is a live aboard this march. And I'm going with the same buddy that I started with in 1977.

Buoyant1:
You always remember your first!

I don't. I remember my first dives in open water but I can't exactly place the first dive I did without the class. I know I could cheat and look at my logbook, but without that I can't remember it.

To me the most remarkable dive was the very first dive in open water and how I kept thinking lets get this over with so I can dive someplace fun.

Wow... a first experience in Brazil. That sounds pretty impressive in and of itself. I hope to dive there before too long!

Karen Es:
Hi guys!

As you may have seen, I'm not an experienced diver, I started diving in 2003, and though I really enjoy this activity, sometimes I think it could be scary and surprising at the same time. Any of you would like to share experiences about your first dives?

Great! La Jolla cove in San Diego county, Lobsters and lots of kelp and fish, terrific initial dives. Went diving several time a week for two years. Excellent instruction-"old style" NASDS. Having grown up in the coal regions of Pennsylvania, the open ocean, and easy access to quality diving, hooked me for life. Having just returned from Vietnam, the peaceful contrast of the Pacific Ocean was also part of those first diving days.

My wife and I made our first post cert dive together on our own. It was a local pond that required a dive flag. I got my first lesson in task loading. Being a fresh rookie was enough tending the flag more than enough. First time down to 30 feet I forgot the line keeper on the surface! Up/down and then we had a decent dive.

The surface swim to the deep water was a little ways and we found that our suits were too much on the surface and we were hot coming and going.

Other wise we stayed in control, came back safe and proved to ourselves we could do it. After that it kept getting better and better.

Dive 2 was a 40 minute ocean shore dive, in and out on a heading. Came home to within 20 feet!

Thanks ScubaBoard!

Pete

Let's see... the very first dive...

Three years ago, island of Rhodes, Greece. Vacation.

Waking up early in the morning in a hotel after only a few hours sleep and some heavy alcohol abuse the night before. Quick breakfast, sip of coffee and sea sickness pills to make sure I get safe to the diving point. Small boat with an instructor and a DM and another crew member. About eight of us, newbie divers, me and my girlfriend. We got a short briefing on the Scuba basics and the signs (ok, not ok, going up...) on the boat and had been given a short form to fill.

Have you ever been diving questions and a medical health statement mostly, but... Uh-oh! I take full responsibility in case of my own death? Could this really happen?

We've come closer to our destination and we hear more things like: "If you get some water into your mouth, just spit it back to your reg." and "To make sure your mask doesn't fog, spit in it and clean it.". OK, so, diving is all about spitting, I guess.

The boat is anchored in a small, shallow bay and the actual diving is about to begin. Immediately there's a middle aged lady panicking and bailing out. We'll be diving in pairs and we're about to go as a third pair. The first dive is to 5m depth and lasts about 20 mins.

The first pair goes. They're nervous, but everything seems ok. I can follow their movement underwater for a while, but they soon disappear from my sight. Minutes go by, and the second pair is ready to dive in. The first pair is back on boat - I look at their faces - no smiles, no happyness, just a spasmic expression in reaction to the heavy gear and strenuous exercise. They don't say much. Next pair comes in.

Again, I watch them as they're diving, but this time something's different. One diver is back on surface. They talk a little and they're back under. But not for long - they're back again and even heading back! What's wrong? He's got that same suffering written all over his face as the first pair. Only this one didn't even finish his dive! What's going on here? Is diving that much of a challenge? Will I be able to do it? What's he saying?

-"I just couldn't do it. Sorry. No, it was too difficult for me. I couldn't breathe..." - He couldn't breathe!? Wow!

At that time the other newbie diver got back and suddenly it's our turn. Put my mask on... wait, I wear glasses! Where do I put them? OK, they're fine in the bag and the mask is on. But I can't see all that well.

We're sliding in the water... I try to breathe through my reg while on surface. DM tells me: "It's actually harder to breathe through it while onn surface. It's the pressure thing. You'll see what I mean when you go deeper." Makes sense, and I'm getting my courage to begin the descent but I just don't feel as if I really get enough air through this. So I ask - is everything ok with this? DM takes the reg, tries for himself and says yes. Asks me if I'm ready. Well, no, but let's go!

We begin to dive and my ears start to hurt. I equalize as told to. Pfeeet! - funny sound and ears are ok again. I smile. Seconds go by and I'm wondering whether this thing I'm breathing is enough to keep me alive. Must be, coz I still am, but it sure feels strange. I'm totally used to breathe through my nose and I've never even snorkeled before.

We swim around and I notice how all those documentaries about diving are so wrong in saying diving is silent. There's so much noise around... bubbles, boats, strange clicking, buzzing and whatnot. We reach the sandy bottom at 5m. I try to look around for features but don't see any. I'm blind as a bat underwater! I stretch my arm to touch the sand, but don't see even that close. Man, if all diving would be like this then it's not a sport for me...

Suddenly my reasoning got interrupted by a small amount of water in my mouth. Where did this come from? I stop and get DM's attention. I signal him wait. He signals back ok. I return the ok and spit the water back to my reg. Good, it works! I breathe again and more water comes in. What's this? DM signals another OK. This time I respond with "wait". I spit the water back, breathe and here it is again? Hey, I need some air! I start the cycle of rapid water spitting and breathing but all with the same result. I have no air for how long? I panic, show the DM the "not ok" and "going up" sign and bolt to the surface!

While up my first thought was - who would have thought that we got so far from our boat. Now that DM joined me, I explain what happened. He says let me see while I try to repeat what happened. Sure enough I get water in, but he's got an explanation - when you reach for air you open your mouth. Keep it closed and breathe. I try again and it works. Duh, do I feel dumb.

We continue the dive with no problems. The instructor takes pictures of us and everything is peachy. Diving is fun again, except for the part that I can't see anything without my glasses underwater. We go back to the boat and I see the next pair waiting to get in. What must we look like to them? I smile. They gain confidence.

The next dive on the same day was to 11m, much more relaxed and without any problems except for my shortsightedness. I did buy a mask with the prescription glasses before my next dive, so I got even the last of my problems solved.

Happy diver here. But sure it was fun that first time! :banana:

I did my first dive may of 2005

I have been wanting to SCUBA for a good while now and i was able to try a dive last may. When i did, i realised how much i loved the sport , however, when i did the try a dive, my dad also did it with me. maybe this wasnt such a good idea because my dad was first off the boat, when he went in the reg fell out his mouth and mask came up.

He also was holding the deflating button and so nearly sunk - instructor had to dive in. So from this i was put off for about 10 seconds then i was fine, and enjoyed the experience. When i came out of the water i realised how much i love the hidden world and why i do. Unfortunately for him this has affected his views on diving but not mine :D

The past week i have been searching for places to learn how to dive - OW course, and i found a BSAC club at a local swimming pool. I was amazed, so i went down to check it out, got the info,my parents were very supportive money wise and now im about to pay for the course and i start on Tuesday! I'm not too sure on the differences between PADI and the BSAC in the ways they teach however it is closer to home and i can do it very soon.

Pat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom