How warm is a Dry Suit ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8C is pretty darned cold for a wetsuit. Personally, at that temperature I'd only consider my wetsuit for shallow, short dives, only 1 dive per day, and would likely turn the dive with plenty of gas left. In a drysuit at those temps, I can do multiple dives per day which are limited by gas/deco rather than cold.

The difference is like night and day. Go for the drysuit, you'll be much happier.

I wear a Weezle undergarment (UK) plus dry gloves and a 10mm hood. I haven't been too cold even in British Columbia waters. I have a heated vest that I've only worn a handful of times. It will come in handy if I ever make it to Antarctica.

Ok so a lot of good comments and suggestions, thanks to all :)

As wibble mentionned it's actually quite easy to hit 5k but that's certainely not my objectve. One of the guys that I dive with has just signed a 4k quote for an SF Tech TNT Kevlar and it doesn't have many options....

I think we will try to put a cap on 2.5k and try to get the best that we can for that price.. The biggest critera being that of MTM.

I am glad that no-one said, it's only slightly warmer than a wetsuit ;-) but at the same time I notice tat no-one said that they were toasty warm either...

Ok so a lot of good comments and suggestions, thanks to all :)

As wibble mentionned it's actually quite easy to hit 5k but that's certainely not my objectve. One of the guys that I dive with has just signed a 4k quote for an SF Tech TNT Kevlar and it doesn't have many options....

I think we will try to put a cap on 2.5k and try to get the best that we can for that price.. The biggest critera being that of MTM.

I am glad that no-one said, it's only slightly warmer than a wetsuit ;-) but at the same time I notice tat no-one said that they were toasty warm either...
OK, done the expensive suits. That's for technical diving addicted people where a 2 hour dive is pretty average.

Starting out, there's lots of neoprene drysuits which are a fraction of that cost. Not including all the "addons" also makes it a lot cheaper.

I started out with an entry level drysuit:

This is listed now as £620/$700/€700. That would work really well for you to begin with. They can fit extras as required, such as a second pocket, drygloves (they work well and are a lot less than Kubis), pee valve, etc.

I still have my old suit which I've not worn for a while. I used that suit for my Fun-dies course in a cold quarry in February some years ago - 7C/44F. The undersuit is relatively thin and works well with the neoprene drysuit.

1662550330866.png

There's equivalent but more upmarket neoprene drysuits from companies like O-Three. These are very popular on UK dive boats and few people complain about them. More expensive than Northern Diver though.

SF Tech TNT and the Seaskin Nova

When it comes to actually diving with these suits, since they are about the most and the least expensive, what would actually justify the price of the SF Tech since we are talking about a 2500-3000 Euro price difference ?

Is the SF Tech any warmer, dryer, more/less buoyant etc

When it comes to actually diving with these suits, since they are about the most and the least expensive, what would actually justify the price of the SF Tech since we are talking about a 2500-3000 Euro price difference ?

Is the SF Tech any warmer, dryer, more/less buoyant etc
The SF Tech TNT is softer. I would almost say cuddly. (Touch your collegues...)
It is a very little bit warmer. Down in the lake at 6°C you can feel a difference. Is it enough for ten minutes more at depth? I don't know.
The quality of the metal zipper is better. The Seaskin zipper after 25 dives looks more used than the SF Tech after ~300 dives.
Service. You can send the suit once a year to Franz for a free tightness test.

The main reason for me to buy it was the good reputation in my (cave) diving friends.

Is it enough to justify the price difference? An accountant would probably say no, but hey, its a hobby :cool:

Is it enough to justify the price difference? An accountant would probably say no, but hey, its a hobby

Lol, that's my usual excuse, it's my hobby..

Ok thanks for taking the time to reply, I live less than an hours drive away from Puidoux ( SF Techs offices) so you can understand why I am drawn towards them...

I am definately going to study that Seaskin Nova though since they are custom fit.. It would definately help the bank account... Otters are starting to get towards SFTech price range so there is no advantage for me there.

SF Tech are very popular here, around the Lac Leman, and as you can imagine there is a certain amount of peer pressure, lol ( hobby snobbery)... but then again I have never heard anyone regretting buying their gear..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom