How to wear a NATO watch strap ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TooCold

Contributor
Reaction score
... or "Why most NATO straps being sold are too short".

NATO straps have been a topic in a few threads (pros and cons; how to use them; how long they need to be), but I get the impression that it's not well known how to use one to full advantage as the design intends. Especially since they've become a fashion item, it's rare to see a manufacturer showing how to use one "properly", and therefore they make them too short, or even omit one or more rings. So for anyone who may find this useful and doesn't already know, here is how they were designed to be used:
Teric on NATO strap.jpg
No, I don't mean they are meant to be used on water bottles. Note that the strap is threaded through the watch pins and both rings of the short strap (as usual) but then threaded back through the ring closer to the watch. Why? So that when tighted on the wrist there is no tension at all on the watch pins. It doesn't matter how tightly you tension the wristband, the watch still rides tension-free on its own loop of the band. That was the point of the design: to eliminate (or at least vastly reduce) the most common failure point.

I'm not saying everyone should use a NATO strap (some folks really hate them). But if you do or are thinking of using one, consider taking full advantage of the design. This does take an additional 3 - 5 cm of strap length, so make sure yours is long enough for your purposes. (@stuartv I feel your pain: I ended up having one long enough for drysuit use custom made. I bought the webbing, harvested the hardware from a too-short strap, took it to a camping goods repair centre and had them sew it together.)

[[EDIT: Because a lot of manufacturers and vendors sell "NATO straps" that are missing one or more of the rings, keep in mind that to use it as described (and designed) make sure it has all 5 rings - 4 rings in addition to the buckle.]]

Thanks. I've seen them in the past and wondered how and why ? Seems like a lot of unnecessary rings and straps that make something that should be simple, complicated.

At the risk of being pedantic, technically you need a 5-ring Zulu strap to be able to thread it that way. A regular NATO or a 3-ring Zulu won't do the trick. In fact, I have taken to just cutting off the second strap of my NATOs and 3-ring Zulus because all it does is make the watch (or dive computer in this case) ride higher.

At the risk of being pedantic, technically you need a 5-ring Zulu strap to be able to thread it that way.

Thanks for reminding me that lots of so-called NATO straps have some of the rings missing (I've edited the post).

As a result of the confusion caused by manufacturers and vendors using different names for the same design, and the same name for different designs, the name is not a good guide when looking for a NATO strap. Of course the name isn't important at all, what is important is making sure that what you get can be used the way you want. That means 5 rings to use a NATO strap as designed.

Found this image of a properly threaded NATO strap, from the NATO website:
The NATO Strap: More Than A Fashion Statement
20171213_e2-symbols-watchstrap.jpg

... or "Why most NATO straps being sold are too short".

NATO straps have been a topic in a few threads (pros and cons; how to use them; how long they need to be), but I get the impression that it's not well known how to use one to full advantage as the design intends. Especially since they've become a fashion item, it's rare to see a manufacturer showing how to use one "properly", and therefore they make them too short, or even omit one or more rings. So for anyone who may find this useful and doesn't already know, here is how they were designed to be used:
View attachment 848863
No, I don't mean they are meant to be used on water bottles. Note that the strap is threaded through the watch pins and both rings of the short strap (as usual) but then threaded back through the ring closer to the watch. Why? So that when tighted on the wrist there is no tension at all on the watch pins. It doesn't matter how tightly you tension the wristband, the watch still rides tension-free on its own loop of the band. That was the point of the design: to eliminate (or at least vastly reduce) the most common failure point.

I'm not saying everyone should use a NATO strap (some folks really hate them). But if you do or are thinking of using one, consider taking full advantage of the design. This does take an additional 3 - 5 cm of strap length, so make sure yours is long enough for your purposes. (@stuartv I feel your pain: I ended up having one long enough for drysuit use custom made. I bought the webbing, harvested the hardware from a too-short strap, took it to a camping goods repair centre and had them sew it together.)

[[EDIT: Because a lot of manufacturers and vendors sell "NATO straps" that are missing one or more of the rings, keep in mind that to use it as described (and designed) make sure it has all 5 rings - 4 rings in addition to the buckle.]]

*sigh* yep. And even if you don't thread it like that, they're all STILL too short to fit around a drysuit sleeve with thick undies on.

Back
Top Bottom