How To Wash A Mares Airtrim Bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

I just bought a Mares Vector 1000 AT Plus but haven't got a chance to use it. Since this is an airtrim BCD, I'm not sure how to wash it after each dive. I read through the User's Guide but it didn't give much details on how to wash the BCD. For those who own this type of BCD, please teach me how to wash it, step by step, so that my BCD will be in good condition?

Unlike other BCDs which have two rapid exhaust valves, my BCD only has one. For washing, the sales person told me to unscrew the valve and put fresh water through the hole and shake it from side to side to circulate the water. Is it the correct way to do it? Can the valve withstand many hours of doing this (screw and unscrew)? I am worry because the valve connecting the BCD and the inflation/deflator hose of my 5-year old Vector Origin, has broken to pieces last year. So I am worry the same will happen again.

Please also let me know whether a valve cord is breakable and can be disconnected from the exhaust valve if pull hard enough. It seems like I have to pull the cord everytime I want to release sea water out from the BCD. Again, can the cord withstand long hours of doing this?

For drying my BCD, please let me know whether I shall leave the valve open.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

I have a dragonfly air trim. I unsrew the dump valves and fill it about a third full of water and inflate it, then shake it around to circulate the water around. I leave the valves undone for drying. I always set the valve on the threads then turn it backwards as if undoing it before I thread it on. This will seat the valve and prevent you from cross threading the valve. My BC is about 6 years old and no problems with the valves from doing this. I usually don't get water in my BC but when I do I unsrew the valves to empty it.

Dear Ontwreckdiver,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry I don't really understand what do you mean by "set the valve on the threads then turn it backwards as if undoing it before I thread it on". Could you please explain? Thank you.

When you go to put the dump valve back on the BC: After you set it back on the BC, turn it counter clockwise a couple of turns as if you are taking it off. You will hear a snap as it sets down on the threads, then thread it back on.

As Ontwreck said, you can unscrew the (mechanical) dump valve to put water in. Be sure not to unscrew the pneumatic valve. The valves should be able to withstand multiple open and closing as long as you are careful not to cross thread the valve. setting the top piece on and turning counterclockwise is a very good way to make sure the threads align properly prior to turning clockwise to close the valve.

As for the mechanical pull cord. It is a nylon string, and as with anything after enough exposure to sun, sea water etc. it can break down. This is not a problem as you can replace it with a new one should you determine necessary. I hope this helps. I am sure you will receive many years of enjoyment from this bcd.

Safe diving,

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for the replies. They are all very informative. Thank you.

Just want to get some further feedback on this new airtrim BCD of mine. According to the manual, to discharge the water inside the BCD, I am required to first position it in such a way to allow the water to flow into the front bag. May I know what is the purpose for this? Then I have to turn the BCD over so that the mechanical quick air dump valve is facing downward and discharge the water by pulling the valve cord. Well this method seems strange to me because once I turn the BCD over, the water will flow to other areas within the BCD. So why don't I just position it upside down at the first place since the valve will be facing downward later?

Another question: I have seen people hanging their BCD for drying the way we hang our shirts inside the closet. Can I do the same for this BCD or there is a way to hang this BCD for drying? Upside down maybe?

Any further information or feedback will be appreciated in advance.

Thank you.

CS,

To empty the water you can simply turn the bcd upside so the water flows towards the mechanical dump. Either pull the cord, or undo the valve to allow the water to drain. As for hanging the bc in storage it is up to you, up or down. I suppose if you found a way to hang it upside down with the open valve being at the lowest possible position, the inside would dry a little better. Honestly I don't think it is that big of an issue IMO.

happy diving,

Hi there,

I finally get the chance to use my Vector 1000 AT Plus and I was so impressed with this BCD particularly the airtrim technology. It was so easy to use and I have no problem using it at all even though it was my first time.

However, I did came across few issues which I would like to ask for your advice:-

a) I couldn't inflate my BCD orally. Is there something wrong? I tried many times to blow air directly through the tube but my BCD couldn't be inflated. Is there a way that I can do it?

b) After washing my BCD and let the waters out from the valve, I'm not sure whether the residual water inside will flow out from the bottom of the BCD when it is being hanged for drying? If not, will the trapped water damage the BCD?

Please let me know. Thank you very much.

CS, when you blow into the manual inflater, the air should enter the bc. it takes a bit of pressure to open the valve, but is easily done. Try it again on land. Once the protective cap is removed, does the BC inflate? Is the hose fully pulled out? Is it bendt/kinked? Check it out, because it shouldn't be a problem to inflate. If you really can't, i'd take it back to the dive shop to have it checked.

I just get as much water out of mine through the manual dump valves. Then leave it partially inflated. he tiny amount of residual water will probably evaporate.

Just my 0.02$. Zak or Phil might have more/better info.

cs:
Hi there,

I finally get the chance to use my Vector 1000 AT Plus and I was so impressed with this BCD particularly the airtrim technology. It was so easy to use and I have no problem using it at all even though it was my first time.

However, I did came across few issues which I would like to ask for your advice:-

a) I couldn't inflate my BCD orally. Is there something wrong? I tried many times to blow air directly through the tube but my BCD couldn't be inflated. Is there a way that I can do it?

b) After washing my BCD and let the waters out from the valve, I'm not sure whether the residual water inside will flow out from the bottom of the BCD when it is being hanged for drying? If not, will the trapped water damage the BCD?

Please let me know. Thank you very much.

My guess is you did not have the inflator tube fully extended. If there is still tubing in the bcd it is possible for it to be bent, forming a kink. Simply pull it all the way out, open the cap, and blow. This should be a very easy process. If it still does not work, take it to an authorized dealer for examination.

P.S. We are glad you like your new bcd. More people should give the Air Trim technology a try.

Best,

Back
Top Bottom