How to travel with gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to everyone for their input and insight. I'm planning to check my pelican case with housing, port and strobe since it is so well protected. I usually carry on my camera and computer with a Tamron backpack carrier that holds all of that gear. My second carryon is a double regulator bag that has room for my point and shoot housing and a book.

We'll each have a check dive equipment bag and then one large rolling duffel with clothers, etc.
From what I have heard (never delt with it personally), you might want to be carefull checking a pelican case through San Juan - I have heard it referred to many times as the baggage theft capital of the world. A checked pelican screams, "I have expensive stuff in me", with "regular luggage" one has no idea if it is dirty underwear or expensive camera gear, that is why I always take my regs/camera/computer with me as carry one.

but just my 2 psi's worth

I have a pelican case for all my video stuff and the first thing I did was go to Walmart and buy a cheap suitcase that was just a little larger than the pelican. If I am going to check it, I put the pelican in the suitcase and put my wetsuit or beach towels around it to keep it from moving. Now it just looks like a regular cheap piece of luggage.

I have my u/w camera stuff in a Storm i2500 carry-on and my regs, laptop, computers, iPod, video camera... in a Mountainsmith Spectrum backpack. B.C. wetsuit, fins... and clothes get checked in my Stahlsac Cozumel Cruiser. I used to overpack stupid crap, like clothes. I'm got better, though. Got hit with the $50 overweight surcharge once on the way home last time to Cabo. On the way out I was able to slip the skycap in Philly $20 and my bag miraculously got lighter. The Storm i2500 is the largest carry-on case allowable. Nice case. Cases4less.com

From what I have heard (never delt with it personally), you might want to be carefull checking a pelican case through San Juan - I have heard it referred to many times as the baggage theft capital of the world...

Heard the same thing years ago. Never been to S.J.

I'll be leading a dive group through San Juan this summer on the way to Dominica. However we are all going to overnight both ways so our bags won't be hanging around the airport.

I have heard though, that the theft problem was a few years ago and that it's no longer a problem there but.... better be cautious than without your gear!

I check 1 bag with my clothes, gear and other miscellaneous stuff and take my reg, notebook, housing, camera, etc with me in a rolling backpack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom