How to test out new gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have described, is there a dive shop near you who has their own (heated) pool? Ask them if you could use it for a few minutes, they'll likely say yes and quote you a price that's probably worth it, they'll want to have one of their shop people sit by the pool as a safety measure. Or maybe they have "open pool" at certain times? Read on...

I've been dry a good while, now waiting for the Gulf around Pensacola and Gulf Shores to warm up, still 2-3 months away. But there's a shop near me here in New Orleans, who have an indoor pool. I just called them, they have a Saturday 1230-1430 "open pool", for $40. Sounds like a plan, I'll rent a tank, and take a dip in warm and friendly water, way down to 12 feet, man, I'm living on the edge, huh?? ;-) I have a new BC that's never been wet, so I'm just being cautious, to make sure it (and the rest of my gear) feels and works okay before I do a boat dive in "wild" water over on "the Coast", in mid-late June when the water gets up around 75. I've missed diving, this pool dip will at least give me a taste. And my regs need the annual check-up, I'll leave it with them.

And by June I hope the several shops and boats I like, have survived the dearth of business since Covid, and everyone's vaxxed. I got both shots in February so my world looks just a tad friendlier...

So, my wife and I have made contact with a local dive shop - main purpose there was to book in a couple of dives over easter, but for the first dive they'll combine a bit of an orientation dive with helping us both out with out new kit. They also offered to let my wife try out some kit as well.

Seems really customer focused - so the good thing for them? Even though they've a bit more expensive than some other stores, we're now likely to buy kit through them - or at least consider it - and I'll probably go with them for my advanced.

Fantastic, I used to live at the end of Browns Rd make sure you get them to show you Number 16, now that's diving.
Park your car just past Harold rd and go for an explore

Fantastic, I used to live at the end of Browns Rd make sure you get them to show you Number 16, now that's diving.
Park your car just past Harold rd and go for an explore

Well I did go to that dive shop that has a pool to try out that new unused BC I had to purchase to replace my first and only BC, which gave up its leaky ghost after only 20 years. After which came no diving for a year and a half what with Covid and all.

Big pool, very warm (90F said my computer), and 16 feet depth out in mid-pool. Two other divers there, a few swimmers up above, not crowded.
Nothing at all wrong with new BC, but it just felt unfamiliar and strange (duh, right?). Inflator/dump hose buttons not like my old ones, D-rings not quite in the “right” place, rear dump valve ditto, bubble noises kind of vague, sort of like one’s first date after a 20- year relationship that ended, kind of thing? I didn’t intend to stay in a half-hour, but I did, to get stuff feeling less new and unfamiliar.

It was a good exercise, glad I did it. Your BC is like your car dashboard and pedals with all the buttons, shift and clutch and dashboard computer—new car takes getting used to. Better to try for the first time here, than splash-in on first boat dive out of Orange Beach/ Pensacola in a couple of months when the Gulf warms up (but not 90 degrees, ha ha).
Forty bucks including tank, and well worth it.
And it was nice to al least get wet, I have missed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom