How to test out new gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True, and it's probably something we'd want to get at some point.

Am i overthinking it, or is finding some practice time something that I really should do with new kit (even though you never get it when hiring kit on travel) - especially given this'll be the first kit with back inflating and integrated weights?

You NEED practice with it, especially now that you mention about the back inflate.

Been hesitant to do a shore dive without buoy and flag.....
Depends on your location. Not needed ever in my area (or apparently required legally). Wouldn't go without it in the NY area though. But that shouldn't affect trying new equipment-- you'd just tie it or anchor the flag to the bottom and do your thing in 5-10' of water (or deeper I guess).

Pools, quarries, practice, hiring people, these kind folk are going to cripple you, it's a completely different culture here find your local pier walk in have a swim and fiddle around and if something gives you the heebie jeebies just stand up
And get plenty of sand in your stuff and have fun

I guess the mindset here is different - we are trained as autonomous divers so even first dive out of OW, I wouldn't have thought twice about going for a dive with a buddy without a DM.

IIRC I bought most of my gear after OW dive 4 so probably my 5th-8th dives were spent trying new gear and getting it sorted. Made sure it was a relatively shallow easy shore dive, made sure my buddy knew I was setting up new gear and just spent the dives tweaking my kit while doing the dives.

Nice. I am really missing my old house with a backyard pool!!!! was only 6 foot deep but still something

Our pool maxes @ 5', so I can use neighbors. But having a pool REALLY sucked here last week! :D

Yes, thats a frozen ski lake behind the pool!

20210215-073655.jpg

Pools, quarries, practice, hiring people, these kind folk are going to cripple you, it's a completely different culture here find your local pier walk in have a swim and fiddle around and if something gives you the heebie jeebies just stand up
And get plenty of sand in your stuff and have fun
The OP wasn't comfortable doing that or he wouldn't have posted. The rule is a diver can thumb a dive for any reason. Even before it starts. No shaming allowed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom