How to tell age of Luxfer tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your tank is made of 6061 T6 alloy. Luxfer discontinued the alloy 6351 T6 in mid 1988. The older tanks were marked "SP 6498" or "E6498". Some were restamped by the hydro facility as "3AL". Later tanks were stamped with the 3AL by the mfr. However, the date is telling. The original hydro of your tank is 08^90. This means it is made from the "safer" alloy.

frank_delargy:
I am looking at picking up an older tank, but I'm not sure if it is too old.
Last inspected 91/92
#'s on tank are ..CT-3AL 3000 P514568 LUXFER 08 ^ 90 - S80
Is this one of the Luxfers that they will not fill anymore?
How can I tell what year it was manufactured.

Thanks!

Sorry, Rjack, you are completely wrong.

I have in front of me, right now, a tank you say doesn't exist.

It's one of those, great, older U.S. Divers "professional" AL80s. It's marking are:

CTC/DOT - 3AL3000 - S80
P273XXX LUXFER 10 ^ 86

All factory original stampings. This IS a 6351 alloy tank.

'Nuff said.

FD

frank_delargy:
Good! Thanks Mike (and others) for the quick feedback.
I hope my LDS will hydro and fill this as I prefer baskets and vases to aluminum tanks for lamps :blinking:
It's not a big investment ($20)

Sounds like you got a great deal, congrats!

FD

pescador775:
Your tank is made of 6061 T6 alloy. Luxfer discontinued the alloy 6351 T6 in mid 1988. The older tanks were marked "SP 6498" or "E6498". Some were restamped by the hydro facility as "3AL". Later tanks were stamped with the 3AL by the mfr. However, the date is telling. The original hydro of your tank is 08^90. This means it is made from the "safer" alloy.
Thanks Pescador,
With all the discussion on this thread, I was starting to get confused again. I will assume that the initial hydro date on my tank is the deciding factor.

fire_diver:

It's one of those, great, older U.S. Divers "professional" AL80s. It's marking are:

CTC/DOT - 3AL3000 - S80
P273XXX LUXFER 10 ^ 86

'Nuff said.

FD

Guess so, my PSI notebook says that tank should not exist since 3AL3000 was a different approval process than the E or SP. Obviously it does. Never seen one myself, don't shop for 20 YO tanks either.

frank_delargy:
Thanks Pescador,
With all the discussion on this thread, I was starting to get confused again. I will assume that the initial hydro date on my tank is the deciding factor.

Thank you for submitting a question which included a full description and background of the problem. Too often, on SB I get suckered into responding to a one liner which is followed by a dozen clarifying remarks from the originator, all submitted piecemeal.

rjack321:
Really now, how are TC markings relevant?
Joke :D

I don't see why the markings are so important...the simple fact is that unless it was manufactured by Catalina, aluminum scuba cylinders made before June of 1988 are 6351--regardless of what the markings say. Personally I wouldn't buy a tank that's older than 1990 but that's just me.

I just picked up an aluminum 80 manufactured in 9-88 with a number 55432.
It's out of hydro. as of 04 and has orange paint over the last hydro date but had current vis. sticker on it and has air in it.
Does that orange paint mean it failed last hydro?
I only paid $20.00 for it so even if it is a paperweight I'll find something to do with it like make a lamp.

CTC/DOT - 3AL3000 - S80
P273XXX LUXFER 10 ^ 86

'Nuff said.

FD

Those are as common as dirt and not just from US Divers.

Back
Top Bottom