How to tell age of Luxfer tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leadking:
This is not accurate. All Luxfer cylinders made before June 1988 are considered to be 6351 aluminum alloy

Yes, that's true. And Luxfer's were made under an exemption. Some other brands were made under special permits. But none of them say 3AL3000 on them.

Then perhaps they say 3ALM207 on there. :wink:
Here's the rule: If it's aluminum, and not Catalina, manufactured before 1988...it's 6351, whether or not it has some crazy E-number on there.

rjack321:
Yes, that's true. And Luxfer's were made under an exemption. Some other brands were made under special permits. But none of them say 3AL3000 on them.

I don't believe that is correct either. If I'm not mistaken in 1992 (I may be off a year on this date) any aluminum tank not marked with 3AL was required to be stamped with 3AL at the time of a retest (hydro). As far as the 3000, that is true for some of the tanks as they had 2475 stamped on them. I have not seen any tanks with out the service pressure on them. I'm not an expert but I believe my info is accurate.

OkieDiver:
I don't believe that is correct either. If I'm not mistaken in 1992 (I may be off a year on this date) any aluminum tank not marked with 3AL was required to be stamped with 3AL at the time of a retest (hydro). As far as the 3000, that is true for some of the tanks as they had 2475 stamped on them. I have not seen any tanks with out the service pressure on them. I'm not an expert but I believe my info is accurate.

They are required to be overstamped 3AL on top of the SP or E number depending on whther its a Luxfer or a Walter Kidde.

Regardless they won't be marked 3AL3000 (all one row like that).

SparticleBrane:
Then perhaps they say 3ALM207 on there. :wink:
Here's the rule: If it's aluminum, and not Catalina, manufactured before 1988...it's 6351, whether or not it has some crazy E-number on there.

Ok you got me, W*T*F are those?

Oh and its before 1989, but the month varys by tank size :) June applies to most every AL80. Other sizes switched alloy earlier and later in 1988.

When my Al80s were new, they were nice and shiny...
TC-3ALM207 = Transport Canada Aluminum 207BAR (roughly 3000psi)

tank1.jpg

rjack321:

Aqain the information is not accurate. The original Luxfer cylinders were made under a SP (special permit , SP-XXXX) stamp not an exemption (E -XXXX). DOT later approved these cylinders and they were to be overstamped with 3AL at the next hydro. Luxfer continued to use 6351 alloy material until June 1988

6351 was used until June in AL80s. Other sizes changed at other times (earlier). And they were never stamped 3AL 3000 all on one line, either by Luxfer or anyone else. Because all 6351 cylinders were either made under an E or SP.

Yes they still say 3AL on them if they have been hydroed in the last 18 or so years. But that is not next to "3000" - and it is they are not legally overstamped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom