How to stop a panicked diver from bolting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The discussion on the A&I thread seemed to be asking what should an Instructor do?
1: For a Resort class, it should be one on one, and the Inst should be prepared to grab control immediately, IMO;
2: For an OW class, seems like my Inst had several in our group, with one or two DMs assisting - and he watched us very closely as we descended to knell on the bottom so that he could watch for bolters and grab them before they got ahead, with DMs backing up on the others;
3: For an AOW course, the student should know better well before the class. If it still happens, follow prudently to render aid, but it's beyond babysitting time.

For my buddy, same: the student should know better well before the class. If it still happens, follow prudently to render aid, but it's beyond babysitting time.

For controling your ascent, or another?

I suppose you meant that as rubish?

I'm not joking if I thought it was the only way and had time I'd try it. Only takes a slight motion to cut a BC with a good knife or shears. After that you can control the ascent if you can control the other diver. Or like you and I agreed in another thread dive solo and take care of yourself.

AD-- NO!! cutting some ones bc would only add the the already over stressed diver...additionally you would need to ditch their weight unless you had enough lift in your BC...However, once you ditched their wieght they would be positivly boyant, and you would have a nearly impossible task of doing a controlled acent...a posite boyant diver, thrashing about knocking into your gear, lose a mask??? knock out your reg???? break a hose.... NO thanks....

I'm not joking if I thought it was the only way and had time I'd try it. Only takes a slight motion to cut a BC with a good knife or shears. After that you can control the ascent if you can control the other diver. Or like you and I agreed in another thread dive solo and take care of yourself.
Sorry, I thot you were joking. I cannot agree....
1: I don't think it'd be all that easy;
2: You risk cutting the diver, and then a deadly weapons charge;
3: At best, the diver would claim you were crazy and owed him a BC - several hundred bucks there.

Anyone with a C-card had better be a better diver than to ever bolt, or at least have their final affairs in order. Good idea to keep those up to date anyway.

The discussion on the A&I thread seemed to be asking what should an Instructor do?

The A & I discussion was centered around instructors, but it seems like relevant information for any buddy to take into consideration.

AD-- NO!! cutting some ones bc would only add the the already over stressed diver...additionally you would need to ditch their weight unless you had enough lift in your BC...However, once you ditched their wieght they would be positivly boyant, and you would have a nearly impossible task of doing a controlled acent...a posite boyant diver, thrashing about knocking into your gear, lose a mask??? knock out your reg???? break a hose.... NO thanks....

I didn't say it was the best or first option but last resort, IMO better than watching someone kill themselves. I've kick myself to the surface negitivley bouyed more times that I can count from back in the pre BC days. I'd keep their weight belt on until breaking the surface. Then release the belt and push 'em away, and wait for 'em to get tired and stop thrashing.
In 30 years of diving I've never returned with less divers than when I started, because I'm not afraid to think and act "outside the box". Hate that term!

The A & I discussion was centered around instructors, but it seems like relevant information for any buddy to take into consideration.
Ok, I gave a 4 part reply above. For my buddies, they'd just better be better divers than that. I cannot stop a bad driver from running off of the road nor can I stop a bad diver from bolting. I'll follow one up, pissed that s/he ascended without me as my dive plan always includes descending and ascending together, then render aid on the surface if needed - but bolting is inexcusable to me.

I see these OW classes being done in Sant Rosa NM, in a 84 ft deep hole, with the classes hanging onto the bar at 20 ft, and wonder how they can control those? I guess they watch to make sure they are neutral - but if they bolt from that, there's not much time to catch. Not like our kneeling class.

Outside the box??? Okay, then attach a dive reel to them and play it out as they surface, mean while keeping myself safe...

I am glad I can make the same claim, never lost a diver...

And it is not about being afraid to act, it is about acting accordingly...in or out of the box...

The flaw in your plan, as I see it, puts both of you at a high risk of injury.
I agree I would hate watching someone kill themselves, but I am not going to give them the opportunity to kill me too...

It is fine if you can Kick yourself to the surface, can you do it with an additional 200lbs? from 40' or 80'....

What if they aren't wearing a weight belt??? How about a weighted Backplate? (okay this could go on forever with what ifs)

The bolting to the surface issue is best handled before the person bolts. Rescue divers are trained to watch the behavior of their buddies and look for tell-tale signs of oncoming panic attacks (wide eyes, breathing difficulty or rapid breathing- change in personality, etc...). Certified assistants are provided by the Instructor to continually engage and evaluate the students, and should be able to intervene in time to prevent these bolts to the surface. If you don't see it coming, there's little to be done once the ascent begins. Safely ascend and manage the scene if an emergency developes.

Again if they are properly prepared in the pool there should not be an issue. I do not permit students to kneel. In Ow or in the pool. I want them horizontal and neutral. That's why we start with buoyancy control as the first skill on scuba.

The bolting to the surface issue is best handled before the person bolts. Rescue divers are trained to watch the behavior of their buddies and look for tell-tale signs of oncoming panic attacks (wide eyes, breathing difficulty or rapid breathing- change in personality, etc...). Certified assistants are provided by the Instructor to continually engage and evaluate the students, and should be able to intervene in time to prevent these bolts to the surface. If you don't see it coming, there's little to be done once the ascent begins. Safely ascend and manage the scene if an emergency developes.

I think post #7&9 agree with you....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom