How to shorten the handles of this mesh bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogerdd

Registered
Reaction score
Just got the ‘Premium Gear Bag’ from Halcyon and I find the handles a bit too long for me.

What could I do/use to shorten them while keeping the solution non-permanent?

Ideally I’d like to be able to carry the bag by hand without the bag touching/dragging on the floor (handles are fine if wearing the bag over the shoulder)

IMG_6833.jpeg

Just got the ‘Premium Gear Bag’ from Halcyon and I find the handles to be a bit to long for me.

What could I do/use to shorten them while keeping the solution non permanent?

Ideally I’d like to be able to carry the bag by hand without the bag touching/dragging on the floor (handles are fine if wearing the bag over the shoulder)

View attachment 794250
Shorten the straps by making a "Z" shaped fold over in each strap for the desired distance (likely only an inch or 2) and then sew the z closed.

The cumberbund of my BC was way too long so I took it to a women's coat store and had the onsite tailor do this to shorten it. $10 cash about ten years ago.

Or fold it and secure it with zip ties instead of sewing.
Zip ties would work if you punch a hole in the strap through the folds and ran zip ties through the hole. A small hole will likely be fine (use a hot soldering iron tip to melt the webbing around the hole). This is essentially very coarse "sewing".

What about sewing/riveting these, below where the straps are box sewn to the bag, and something similar higher up on the straps? Double enders, carabiners, anything clipped between them shortens them, and can be unclipped on the fly to use as a backpack?

See that little D-ring on the right side of the picture, at the end of the zipper. There is another at the other end of the zipper. That is for a shoulder strap. Allows carrying the bag without the bag dragging. If you really wanted it to be a hand bag, a really short shoulder strap. All without making any permanent changes to the bag.

Back
Top Bottom