How to shorten a OMS corragated hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone explain if the OMS wing's corragted inflator hose (thats is too long) be shortened easily or not by myself? I like my OMS wing and IQ harness, but prefer a shorther hose than they provide. Can the power inflator just be removed via the tie wrap and the corraged hose just cut shorther w/o messing anyhting up?

Thanks,
I know they sell shorther versions, but I am still going to have to take off the power inflator and switch them, correct?

OMS corragated hoses can be cut. If you do decide to cut it, be advised that you are cutting off the flared end that attaches the inflator head. Then the hose you just cut is worthless and you end up buying a shorter hose. I think Lloyd Bailey's sells them online.

scubanarc once bubbled...
OMS corragated hoses can be cut. If you do decide to cut it, be advised that you are cutting off the flared end that attaches the inflator head. Then the hose you just cut is worthless and you end up buying a shorter hose. I think Lloyd Bailey's sells them online.
You can get corrugated hoses at any LDS too...just get a smaller one...removing and reattaching the power inflator is easy.. He is right about the OMS hose..once you cut it you ain't getting that part back on again..BUT, you can use it in its entirety as a jump rope once you switch out the hose for a shorter one..

WARNING !!!!!!!!
WARNING!!!!!!!!

I hope I got your attention I replaced my OMS hose with a shorter one, a scubapro hose to be exact. The secound year of diving the OMS wing failed. The blatter developed a hole just under where the hose conects to the blatter. I do not belive that the blatter is desighned for the stress from a shorter hose if it is used to vent the OMS BC. Luckly fo me my weighting was good and it was more anoying than any thing I actualy could not figuer out what was wrong untill I got back on board the boat and my wing was full of water. It's a good thing I had cut off the bondage straps other wise things could have been stressful on the dive. Well I wanted to get a explorer any way and this was good timing I ordered a halcyon that week:) . If you have any further questions please ask.

that there is a cable that runs inside the corragated hose if it has a pull dump. you can stick the corrogated hose in hot ( really hot ) water and the hose will be soft enought to slide over the inflator button. You may want to use a bit of soap to help it slide. If you don't do anything about the cable inside though you will lose the ability to pull on the hosae as the cable will still have slack.

Thanks,
Thats not something I was to mess with! Think I'll just leave it be as it is now...

Yes you can cut it to shorten it. If you do I would suggest the following:

1) get rid of the pull-dump elbow and replace it with the plain elbow;

2) cut off the end that attaches to the elbow, not eh end that attaches to the inflator;

3) replace the zip tie with SS hose clamps which you can get at an autoparts store or a Home Depot but make sure that the screw is SS as well as the band. I got mine from McMaster Carr. Replace the zipties that hold the hose to the inflator while you are at it. Cover the hose clamps with some 3M electical tape and then cover that with a loop of bicycle inner tube.

As previously statedyou can use some soap and dip the hose in hot water to make it more flexible.

Even if you buy a shorter hose, use the SS hose clamps instead of the zipties.

Dave D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom