How to repair holes in Fusion Sport Lycra skin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I too have shoulder issues am researching the Whites Sport Fusion. I have rented one from my LDS, however I would like to know how to self-repair a hole in the exterior Lycra fabric. I've seen the video on how the inside skin is repaired, so now I need to understand how to repair the exterior. I take excellent care of my dive gear, and always maintain it in top-notch condition.

Thankyou!!!

I don't really know. I've never had to repair mine.

Iron Mend wet suit repair fabric works great. Just cut a piece to overlap the hole 1/4" to 1/2" and iron it on. Cutting the patch so the edges are well rounded helps prevent it from getting snagged and peeling off and it makes for a nicer looking repair.

It works on both the lycra sports skin and on the neoprene tech and bullet skins.

http://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Wetsuit-Booties-Snorkeling-AUTHORIZED/dp/B001HWFJNS

I keep some of the fusion heat activated repair material in the tube with the iron mend.

Iron Mend wet suit repair fabric works great. Just cut a piece to overlap the hole 1/4" to 1/2" and iron it on. Cutting the patch so the edges are well rounded helps prevent it from getting snagged and peeling off and it makes for a nicer looking repair.

It works on both the lycra sports skin and on the neoprene tech and bullet skins.

Amazon.com: Iron Mend Fabric Repair Kit Neoprene Scuba Diving Dive Wetsuit Gloves Booties Hood Surfing Surf Snorkeling AUTHORIZED DEALER!!!: Sports & Outdoors

I keep some of the fusion heat activated repair material in the tube with the iron mend.

I used to sew and iron, so I understand your concept. The ironing board was sold and my husbands shirts go to the dry cleaners , but I kept the sewing machine!

Im only trying to anticipate maintenance as needed because I like to keep my equipment on "like new" condition. I'm kinda picky.....

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2012 at 07:03 PM ----------

I don't really know. I've never had to repair mine.

And you're a caver...I like that feedback!!!!

For a small hole I used AquaSeal to keep it from growing. My right knee is in need of repair now. I might try some iron on patch for my Tech Skin, not sure though.

Larry, how is that Iron Mend wetsuit repair different from the stuff you can buy at most any fabric store? Is it stretchy?

If I recall correctly it has some stretch, but not as much as the lycra on the sport skin. I'm not sure how it differs from what's in Fabric stores. It is more convenient given that I am at the dive shop a lot more than I am at the fabric shop.

---------- Post added December 4th, 2012 at 07:55 AM ----------

And you're a caver...I like that feedback!!!!
I've had my Fusion almost 3 years now and have acquired a total of 1 puncture on the back of the upper arm, and 1 small hole below a knee pad. I'm not sure if they were wreck or sidemount cave induced, but generally wrecks are going to be harder on suits than caves as they have sharper edges and there is generally more contact in a wreck penetration than a cave penetration.

The most noticeable wear is on the graphics. White's seems to have gotten the "less is more" message from customers in that regard.

FA6905A3-B8E7-4F96-A176-967057B29FE0-3098-0000041AF7D7A6B8.jpg

7EAD58E2-0296-41BE-B6CE-21DA7363765B-3098-0000041B0823D09F.jpg

Iron Mend fabric also works great as reinforcement around holes in the skin for pee valves.

CD39C3A6-669B-47D6-B61D-6E822B8DB02C-3098-0000041B15DEFCDC.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the worst thing that happened to my original Sport skin was that the white piping came apart and eventually had to be taken off.

Thanks Larry, I just ordered the repair material. My Otter Bay hood could use a patch on the 3mm part too as it is tearing, yet I haven't completely worn it out yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom