How to remove rust im 1st stage regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow thanks for all the feed backs kinda overwhelming. But hope that the problem will not be deep, which will require me to replace my regs. These regs are prety new and not over used.

Sent it for service, hoping tat replacing parts and cleaning is enough.

Will update the thread once I get my regs back for other divers who will encounter the same problem to have future references

Assuming I am not being tricked by lighting in that photo, and assuming the service did return it to you clean and shiny, then there is definitely a need/opportunity for much better post dive care. Ask for a show and tell demo next time you are at the LDS. Aside from the corrosion you see, there may now be salt water inside the 1st stage also. One common error I see during training is the diver that inserts a dust cap inverted, trying to use the top surface as a cork, when it is really the bottom surface that covers the inlet.

Hmm I dont adjust the cap at all. Just put it on and screw it to seal . Ill take note of this on post dive cleaning

Me too. Do you own your tanks? I would suspect a lot of moisture inside a steel tank as being a possible culprit.

I don't own one. How to check if tanks have moisture inside?

i assume you dive in S.E.A. And are unlikely to encounter steel tanks, you may assume there is moisture in the tanks but there shouldn’t be rust. It really appears to be from the retaining ring and a lapse in cleaning procedure. If my guess is correct the rust on the filter is just surface coverage and hasn’t penetrated the regulator, the filter has to be removed to confirm this.

I don't own one. How to check if tanks have moisture inside?
Where did you use your regulator? It isn't "moisture" in the Tanks as much as "rust/corrosion" in the Tank and possibly a Tank snorkel/stem coming loose.

i assume you dive in S.E.A. And are unlikely to encounter steel tanks, you may assume there is moisture in the tanks but there shouldn’t be rust. It really appears to be from the retaining ring and a lapse in cleaning procedure. If my guess is correct the rust on the filter is just surface coverage and hasn’t penetrated the regulator, the filter has to be removed to confirm this.
Hard to tell from that photo if the filter retainer was the source of the rust, or if it was just collecting rust from elsewhere.
If it looks like the retainer itself has rusted, I would suggest asking your service tech to be sure to replace the part this time. Sherwood does NOT include that part in the overhaul service kit, contrary to the other brands that I am familiar with. I am hoping that now that Sherwood has only one owner, they will at some point in the future skimp a little less on the contents of the kits.

IMG_20190123_183154.jpg

So after taking my regs to service it looks good as new. They said probable cause was the 1st stage was not dried well after rinsing.

Altho after inspection of the replaced parts. There is no sign of rust on the strainers. Not sure if they cleaned it too before returning it to me. Will post the picture of the parts

IMG_20190124_204921.jpg

Here is the filters replaced. Not much sign of rust... Weird. Maybe they cleaned it too

pretty much confirms my thoughts I said initially that it was water on/in the "dust cap" corroding while in storage.....

you frequently heat blasts of air as folks are breaking down or swapping tanks. What they are attempting to do is blow any water out of the cap before they put it over the opening...

Here is the filters replaced. Not much sign of rust... Weird. Maybe they cleaned it too

This picture is of the old filter? How come two of them?

FYI Filters are replaced never cleaned and/or reused.

Back
Top Bottom