how to "refurbish" vintage tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a US Divers steel 72 from the early 70s. It has passed hydro and VIP continuosly since new, including last week.

It is in good shape, but time has taken it's toll on the cosmetics of the tank. I'd like to try and restore the look to more of an original appearance consistent with it's vintage heritage.

Any thoughts on how to do that?

Galvite, PM Captain on the stuff.

N

Thanks for the reply, Nemrod.

Oops, my mistake. I should have said that it is a coated yellow tank. I think Galvite is like paint, right? If so, it would probably wreck the yellow coating. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!

I like aviation paint stripper. You can get this at your local OSH or ACE hardware store. It is essentially phosphoric acid. Buy household plastic gloves too, and a plastic brush. Wear safety glasses or eyeguard. Wear old clothes, and throw them away afterwards.

Scrape all the labels and other crap off first, with a razor blade scraper.

Leave the valve in it, as you do all this, so nothing gets inside the tank(s).

Do it in your bathtub.

Shut the door to keep the wife and kids away.

If you get any on your skin, it will hurt.

When you are finished, rinse everything completely, and down the drain. After the tank(s) dry, the finish will be a beautiful authentic silvery shine.

This is how I normally clean off stainless steel tanks, and it works well every time.

Paint remover probably will not remove the vinyl. It has to be peeled and scrapped off.
Some of the vinyl coated tanks were galvanized under the vinyl. If it is I would remove the vinyl and it could be painted with any yellow paint. If it is not galvanized than you should use the Galvalite after removing the vinyl. I myself would not paint over the Galvalite but you can.

I have stripped several of these vinyl coated tanks and through a process of trial and error, have found that Loctite brand Chisel Gasket Remover (Loctite 79040) works best. The main ingredient is methylene chloride and it separates the vinyl from the steel allowing it to be peeled off of the cylinder in one piece, usually. I leave the valve in and hang it from something like a tree branch to gain easy access to all sides and the bottom. Spray it on liberally in two or three coats and let it soak in for 30 minutes. Wearing chemical resistant gloves, peel the vinyl down from the valve working toward the bottom. You should also wear a face shield, or at least eye protection. Don't use it if it's windy and make sure nothing that you care about the finish on is nearby. When you're done and all the vinyl is gone, rinse it well with water and then wash with a warm soapy water solution.

As far as refinishing goes, I've tried several types of paint. For cheap stuff, appliance epoxy from home depot works reasonably well and I've tried cold galvanizing on a couple of tanks for temporary protection. Does anyone know if it would be possible to hot dip galvanize a tank? Would the temperatures be high enough to weaken the steel or is that just an issue with aluminum tanks? That would be the best way to put an end to having to worry about rust proofing a tank.

Another coating I want to look into is mentioned in the oxyhackers book, but I can't find my copy of it this evening and I can't remember the name of it, but awhile back, I checked out the website and it was described as a miracle coating and came in many colors and in one step and two step processes, depending on the severity of the corrosion. If anyone knows the product I'm talking about and has used it, I would love to hear some feedback on it.

Of all the do it yourself coatings Galvalite is the best by far. It is the closest to hot dip galvanize than any other product.

With all the work involved, I'm beginning to think that tank looks pretty good just the way it is!

diversolo:
Another coating I want to look into is mentioned in the oxyhackers book, but I can't find my copy of it this evening and I can't remember the name of it, but awhile back, I checked out the website and it was described as a miracle coating and came in many colors and in one step and two step processes, depending on the severity of the corrosion. If anyone knows the product I'm talking about and has used it, I would love to hear some feedback on it.

Update on the coating mentioned in the "Oxygen Hacker's Companion" by Vance Harlow:
The coating is a urethane based paint called "POR 15". Google that...it seems very impressive and a long term solution at that. Anyone with any experience in it, I'd love to hear about it.

POR15 is known as being a great "paint" for preventing rust (and even stopping rust that has already started). i have never used it, however it has a good reputation and i would use it if it fit an application i needed.
the only potential down side is that is supposed to be a real pain to remove. it supposedly will not chip, flake, or even scratch to the tune of wacking painted items with a BFH (so the stories go), however POR15 also makes a chemical remover that they say works good.

por15.com if anyone is interested

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom