How to quote portions of previous post?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I understand how to quote a previous poster's post in order for me to reply, but does anyone know how I can quote a portion of their post (such as a paragraph), reply to that portion, then quote another portion of their post and then reply? I have seen others do this, it seems handy, but I can't figure it out.

Quote it, then just go to your post, click on "Edit" and highlight/delete that which you don't want shown.

the K

Maybe there's an easier way but I just quote the whole thing then delete what I don't want. Just leave the [] before and after the quote.

To elaborate a bit on what the others have already said:

The SB software starts by giving you the entire previous post in one big quote block, with "[QUOTE]" / "[/QUOTE]" tags at the beginning and end. You can break this up into separate quotes by copying and pasting the "[/QUOTE]" tag to the end of each block and then adding another copy of the original "[quote="username, post: postID#"]" at the beginning of each new block, and then deleting the bits between quote blocks that you didn't want.

Quote it, then just go to your post, click on "Edit" and highlight/delete that which you don't want shown.

the K
Slightly easier (IMO) way is to use "M-Quote" and then reply. Don't like editing my messages if I don't have to.

To elaborate a bit on what the others have already said:

The SB software starts by giving you the entire previous post in one big quote block, with "" tags at the beginning and end. You can break this up into separate quotes by copying and pasting the "[/QUOTE]" tag to the end of each block and then adding another copy of the original "[quote="username, post: postID#"]" at the beginning of each new block, and then deleting the bits between quote blocks that you didn't want.

The = stuff isn't really required. Just gives a link back to the original post. It is pretty standard to leave it in the first post and just use plain quote tags for parts belonging to the same post (provided you aren't intermingling posts).

mikemill:
The = stuff isn't really required. Just gives a link back to the original post.

Not quite. The = stuff gives you the screen name of the person you are quoting. The semi-colon and number after the name gives you the link.

cappyjon431:
I understand how to quote a previous poster's post in order for me to reply, but does anyone know how I can quote a portion of their post (such as a paragraph), reply to that portion, then quote another portion of their post and then reply?

It's not hard, once you learn the code.

cappyjon431:
I have seen others do this, it seems handy, but I can't figure it out.

I'm sure with the info bleeb gave you, you'll have it working in no time.

I understand how to quote a previous poster's post in order for me to reply, but does anyone know how I can quote a portion of their post (such as a paragraph), reply to that portion, then quote another portion of their post and then reply? I have seen others do this, it seems handy, but I can't figure it out.
Slightly easier (IMO) way is to use "M-Quote" and then reply.
Yep, hit this button to select a post for multi-quoting.
multiquote_off.gif

It will then turn red to indicate it has been selected.
multiquote_on.gif

Repeat for other posts if needed.

Then hit this button to open an edit window with all your selected posts.
quote.gif

To break up your post into parts I use...

[quote="cappyjon431, post: 4464686"]I understand how to quote a previous poster's post in order for me to reply,[/QUOTE]
I break up your post with extra [/QUOTE][QUOTE] codes, but do notice that I changed the order of the / inserts.
[QUOTE] but does anyone know how I can quote a portion of their post (such as a paragraph), reply to that portion,,[/QUOTE]
Again
[QUOTE] then quote another portion of their post and then reply? I have seen others do this, it seems handy, but I can't figure it out.[/QUOTE]

Then I use Preview to make sure I got it right, as it is tricky...
I understand how to quote a previous poster's post in order for me to reply,
I break up your post with extra [/QUOTE]
codes, but do notice that I changed the order of the / inserts.
but does anyone know how I can quote a portion of their post (such as a paragraph), reply to that portion,,
Again
then quote another portion of their post and then reply? I have seen others do this, it seems handy, but I can't figure it out.

It would be best to use the
on each segment, but as long as I leave your quotes in order, I really don't bother. If it looks good on Preview, then I Post.

It can get tricky tho...! :shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom