How to qualify as a Tech diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichLockyer:
DIR is not exclusive to tech. DIR can be used in any (non commercial/military) situation.

While I agree with the first bit, Military divers have their own procedures, gear configs and rules most of which are not DIR. ie. Military divers are strokes.

(note: this is NOT a viewpoint I agree with)

TX101:
While I agree with the first bit, Military divers have their own procedures, gear configs and rules most of which are not DIR. ie. Military divers are strokes.

(note: this is NOT a viewpoint I agree with)

Good thing this is not your view point because I think they (military divers, hard hat 300 + ft, jim suits etc) call recreational divers Guppies or Tadpoles

TX101:
That's why I said NON-Commercial/military.

I almost included PSD, but there are many PSD divers who adhere to DIR, and many who find it impractical, but I think the level of surface support makes it forgivable to a degree.
Same with military and commercial. DIR may be the safest way to dive in OW, caves, and wrecks, but a hard hat with a hose connected to the compressor, comm link, and a chamber waiting on deck is a lot safer still.

Don't even think about referring to a SEAL team as a bunch of strokes. DIR is more than equipment, and those guys have unified team skills that put the best of DIR divers to shame.

RichLockyer:
DIR may be the safest way to dive in OW, caves, and wrecks, but a hard hat with a hose connected to the compressor, comm link, and a chamber waiting on deck is a lot safer still.

With respect I disagree. DIR is one way to dive caves/wrecks whilst minimising the inherent risks. As many of the less vocal dive teams around have proven time and time again there are plenty of otherways to acheive the same end using rb etc etc without dir.
If you are planning a long penetration into a wreck, even a comparatively shallow one such as the Markgraf ( example cos I did it last week) a surface led supply isn't going to follow you under the wreck, up into the 'temple of doom' through Wilkies back passage and up to the dark side - you have got to be free swimming and streamlined

RichLockyer:
Don't even think about referring to a SEAL team as a bunch of strokes. DIR is more than equipment, and those guys have unified team skills that put the best of DIR divers to shame.

for sure :dazzler1:

RichLockyer:
That's why I said NON-Commercial/military.

ah, ok. I misunderstood. I thought you were including [non-commercial and military], not excluding [commercial & military].

RichLockyer:

You know, I think I could put up a good argument about DIR, strokes, SEAL team divers and levels of training.. but in the interests of not starting a flame war .... I think I'll leave it alone.

RichLockyer:
Depth alone is not an acceptable dive objective, and any kind of obsession with any aspect of diving (other than doing it as safely as possible) is a flat disqualification.

I disagree. Why is a wreck or a new lead in a cave any more valid than a want to reach a certain depth? IMHO they are all goals to different people. Also, I don't think a little obsession over something is necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it can be a drive that pushes us to reach new (personal?) limits and achieve new things (even if those things have already been achieved by others, it might still be new to the person achieving it for the first time). Safety should be paramount but where do you draw the line? All diving, regardless, includes an amount of risk, even getting on the boat to get to the dive site could be risky! To me it's all about an exceptable level of risk and trust me, I have a lot to live for but someone else might have entirely different levels.

Dayang:
I am a relatively new diver with just over 100 logged dives , was wondering what certification to obtain to become a tech diver? What exactly do they do? go deep? how deep? cave , wreck...etc? I have heard of tech 1 , 2 .... what kind of certifiication is that? If I would like to be trained as one how should i proceed? currently a DMT with Padi. BTW I am not nitorx trained yet.

Lots of questions hope you experts can answer thanks in advance
im guessuing that some of your post is now missing as i cant see the singapore part anymore!

Well first thing you are going to need is nitrox card, this covers a lot of stuff which is going to come up over and over again on your tech training with respect to calculating PO2, maxximum depths etc. so i would start with that to get familar with the terms.

Have you dived any of the local wrecks recreationally? 7 skies, Kuantan, turtle, maritime fidelity (THE REPULSE!!!!!!!!)? if you are doing tech diving locally these will be the dive sites not caves. Are you comfortable diving sites recreationally.

B&J on tioman is a good choice also can try http://www.penetrationdivers.com/pages/25/index.htm

they have boat in malaysia but based in singapore, speak to Greg Doyle

TX101:
ah, ok. I misunderstood. I thought you were including [non-commercial and military], not excluding [commercial & military].

You know, I think I could put up a good argument about DIR, strokes, SEAL team divers and levels of training.. but in the interests of not starting a flame war .... I think I'll leave it alone.

I would love to hear this argument.......But before you do please let us in on your background and experience with each group so we will know that your argument is based on facts.

Ontario Diver:
Sorry Walter. I must disagree.

Technical diving differs from recreational diving in that recreational diving allows a direct ascent to the surface.

Loosely speaking, you may go to the surface at any time during a recreational dive.

Technical diving is diving when there is a "ceiling" that stops you from making a direct surface ascent. That ceiling may be rock (cave), steel (wreck) or a deco obligation.

Technical diving differs because it requires gear and procedures that recognize the inability to go directly to the surface.

The first step in techincal diving is a deco procedure course followed by either an overhead environment course or a advanced nitrox or trimix course.

just my .02$
So, let me get this straight, only open water dives are recreational, all other dives are commercial? There is no recreation involved in visiting caves, wrecks or other specialty dives which require advanced training?
I'm sorry, I couldn't think of a kinder gentler way to ask.
Not looking for fire, I'm trying to understand the differences between recreational diving and recreational diving.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom