How to protect your camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SophiaaaaaX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have lost my GoPro once in Thailand in a dive with a bit of rain and wind.... I blame the 1 dollar safety tether string(not safe at all apparently, it just broke) and I then lost 90% of the valuable footage I took during that trip. While it is a hard lesson to learn, I wonder how more experienced divers protect their cameras? Any recommendations for housing choices, floaters, and safety tethers?

If you must clip it to yourself use a boltsnap or something robust.
And learn to tie knots.

I have lost my GoPro once in Thailand in a dive with a bit of rain and wind.... I blame the 1 dollar safety tether string(not safe at all apparently, it just broke) and I then lost 90% of the valuable footage I took during that trip. While it is a hard lesson to learn, I wonder how more experienced divers protect their cameras? Any recommendations for housing choices, floaters, and safety tethers?

For years I used one of these coil lanyards (heavier cameras) or a brass bolt snap if attaching directly to the tray. After switching to Action Cameras for portability and ease of use (I flooded a NIkon D600) I prefer a stronger retractor or if I use a pole, a wrist lanyard with a brass bolt snap. I only remove the lanyard when the camera is securely clipped.

I also use a neoprene sleeve for transport and until I hit the water and upon surfacing to avoid unnecessary bumps. It takes a little practice but it works for me.

The best tip IMO when travelling is to leave the case open and not hermetically sealed. I destroyed and Ikelite case once because the external drop in pressure during the flight increased the case's internal pressure creating cracks on the hinges. Using a modern (and expensive) case that uses a vacuum pump or filling-in all gaps with a lint free tissue to reduce air space will probably avoid this.

Attachments

• Coil Lanyard.jpg
    Coil Lanyard.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Scubapro-feststellbarer-Retractor-110-cm-Ausziehlaenge-26313-2_600x600.jpg
    Scubapro-feststellbarer-Retractor-110-cm-Ausziehlaenge-26313-2_600x600.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Case Neoprene.jpg
    Case Neoprene.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 56
I use the coil lanyard on my GoPro tray setup. Works great.

I use the coil lanyard on my GoPro tray setup. Works great.
Works too of course. Do you also use a carabiner of sorts to attach it to your BCD when not filming or you carry it with you at all times?

Not really an answer to the specific question, but transferring the footage off the camera onto, prefferably, 2 harddrives at least daily is really important.

Losing a camera sucks ofcourse, but sd card, especially with gopro, have been know to break. Making backups is crucial.

When I am on holiday, I transfer all footage daily, onto 2 seperate drives. One of them goes in my checked luggage, the other one in my cabin lugagge.

DIY tray, a sports shoe lace that my bcd harness goes thru. You can attach a carabina and hook to a D ring if you want.
Flat platform glides thru the water and at times I can set it down to record. Two handles give good stability on those larger critters like whale sharks

10100.jpg

10094.jpg
WHALE SHARK 01 JUNE CDC 2019.jpg

Not really an answer to the specific question, but transferring the footage off the camera onto, prefferably, 2 harddrives at least daily is really important.

Losing a camera sucks ofcourse, but sd card, especially with gopro, have been know to break. Making backups is crucial.

When I am on holiday, I transfer all footage daily, onto 2 seperate drives. One of them goes in my checked luggage, the other one in my cabin lugagge.

Absolutely. I use a RAV Filehub for wireless back up to my iPad and SSD while on the go.
Works great and once you get the grip of it, quick enough and gives great peace of mind :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom