Kupton GoPro protective housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k954triniz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So i have a GoPro 8 and also a 9, Ive always bought the official GoPro protective housing for them due to trust issues :facepalm:. But in the past year I’ve broken 3 GoPro cases at the mounting points. My assumption is because of how much i have to tighten the screw so the GoPro in the case doesn’t move and my tray it self slightly touching the latching mechanism of the housing, but i tried a standard handle and eventually it broke at the mounting point. Contacted GoPro and they sent new ones each time but then after a few dives it does it again. Now I don’t expect them to keep sending new ones and I really don’t want to buy a $50 case again for each of my gopros when they break again.
All that being said who uses the kupton GoPro protective housing. Should i trust a $20 case at 100ft or even 50ft. I see the ratings on them are good but I don’t really see any reviews from divers, mostly snorkellers and pool goers. Any advice is good advice.

I personally wouldn't trust a knock off. I would probably get the Isotta housing if GoPro weren't a replace after 2-3 years purchase.

I saw those and man that’s an insane price. Just as much as the camera and more. But i understand the reasoning BUT thatsss a hell of a lot of money.
I personally wouldn't trust a knock off. I would probably get the Isotta housing if GoPro weren't a replace after 2-3 years purchase.

I used a $20 knockoff once and flooded a Hero4 on the first dive. Actually the second as I took the housing without camera (standard practice) on the first dive and it seemed to hold up.

But you shouldn't be having to crank down the mount so much to keep the camera fixed on the tray (if I'm understanding you correctly). Put a thin rubber washer between the camera and the tray then you won't have to tighten so much.

I know a few people that are fans of the Isotta but no way I would pay that. I'd move up to a better camera with 1" sensor like the LX-10 if I was that into it.

I find the knock-off housings last about a year, max. Then I begin to see a drop of water inside the housing after the dive and toss it. It's almost always the buttons - they just don't have a very good (i.e. long lasting) seal.

I have also found the main silicone seal doesn't last as long either. Kinda hard to describe - like it rolls up or otherwise simply doesn't seal as completely (I see this on land before the dive). That's when I grab the second back that they usually supply with the cheapo housing.

I'd love a proper aluminum housing with good seals but the cost is just too much at present.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom