How to prevent seasickness...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vox

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The wife and I are wanting to do a liveaboard trip however, we have a concern. She has a small tendency to get seasick. For example, we went on a cruise two years ago on a very large ship and she got seasick the first night because she did not use the patch before we got onboard. After the patch - no problems for the rest of the trip.

So, my question to the masses here is threefold:

1. Has anyone had a similar tendency to seasickness? If so, how did you treat it best for your liveaboard trip?

2. Is the patch preferred or is a medication such as Bonine or Dramamine the better course?

3. How do any potential treatments affect our ability to dive? Any side effects we should be cautious of?

Thanks in advance for you input!

~m

As I discovered, even a seasoned salt can become afflicted if significant time has passed between voyages. I drop a dramamine and have no problem diving under the influence even though it can make one drowsy.

I'm sure others will chime in but generally speaking it sounds like the patch worked fine once for for your wife.

Sea ya!

coming from someone who has battled this for 31 years now, here is my advice: if the patch works, stick with it...but a couple of points of caution...#1)it's drowsy effects are more pronounced in some people as opposed to others which could pose a problem at depth; be sure that she is comfortable with the side effects topside before trying to dive on the patch...#2) the patches can and do fall off when wet for an extended period of time even w/ a piece of "waterproof" medical tape applied on top of them....if she does not realize the patch has removed itself, then she may become sick with little or no warning....also, I've seen one instance where a diver thought they had lost their patch and applied another one, when in reality the original had fallen off and reapplied itself in a different position, thus resulting in a double dose which caused extreme drowsiness(not good for diving)...also, they now produce scopalamine(the active ingredient in the patch) in a pill form called Scopace....it works much more quickly than the patch, but also does not last as long...the upside is that it will not wash off and it's now my method of choice for preventing chunkage...the best OTC I have found is Triptone, but like other OTCs and prescriptions, it works great for some and not at all for others...so the best advice I can offer is to plan accordingly ahead of time, be safe with whatever you use, and have a Great Trip!!!

I use Bonine the night before boarding the dive boat, just to get it in my system, then two hours before boarding. Also, I picked up an herbal liquid called "Motion-Eze" and rub it behind my earlobes (it's supposed to somehow work with the liquid in your ears to even things out, I've been told). For whatever reason, this combo works and doesn't seem to make me tired or have other bad side effects.

Prevent is a pretty strong request. I'll bet with some people it is impossible, they are just prone.

After taking your favorite anti-sea sickness product, eating some ginger snap cookies during your SI might help.

Also, know where to stand/sit in the boat and what not to be looking at. Diesel fumes can also cause that icky feeling, so pay attention to that as well.

vox:
1. Has anyone had a similar tendency to seasickness? If so, how did you treat it best for your liveaboard trip?

Like fetal-position, wish I were dead seasickness? Yes.

2. Is the patch preferred or is a medication such as Bonine or Dramamine the better course?

The patch is the best preventative for me. I have no side-effects from using it.

You can even buy the patch without a prescription from some Canadian online pharmacies.

motion sickness, and I am severely so, simply looking at the horizon and eating ginger snaps isn't go to do squat for you. For me, this works:

1. Use the Scopaline patch or Scopace oral. Try these before your vacation to observe side-effects.
2. Avoid spciy, greasy foods. Eat bland, light meals.
3. Avoid caffeine.
4. Avoid alcohol.
5. Stay well-hydrated.
6. Get a bunk mid-ships.
7. Avoid diesel fumes.
8. Avoid cigarette smoke.
9. Stay on-deck, and focus on the horizon when queasy.

I've always had good luck with Bonine...I usually start taking them a day or so before and take them every day I'm gone. I've done several liveaboards and have never had a problem. I was on a liveaboard in Thailand once and the seas were sooo rough, even the crew was sick. I was fine and passing out extra Bonine to the others!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom