How to prepare an Atomic Ultraclear Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chipstix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I got a chance to try my new Atomic Frameless ultraclear mask today. The fit and comfort was excellent - but I had some problems with fogging (despite using my tried and tested method of using baby shampoo as an anti-fogging agent which usually never lets me down).

One difference to masks that I have owned in the past is that I would normally carefully rub down the inside of the lens with a standard white toothpaste to remove the 'film'. I did not do this with the Atomic as I am sure I read or heard somewhere that you should not use any abrasives on the ultraclear lens (I read this to include the toothpaste preparation).

Please can you confirm in what way I should prepare the lens for first use and clean it on an ongoing basis? My next dive is on Monday and it would be great to get rid of this fogging issue.

Many thanks, Chris

It seems the various frameless masks are harder to initially prep than framed ones. My guess would be that the silicone residue from the manufacturing process is for some reason worse or more prevalent on the frameless masks.

Is the "ultraclear" different than the "usual" Atomic Frameless mask? (Alright, I just looked it up, and it looks like that's just what they call their glass. I don't believe that has any special coating on it.)

http://www.atomicaquatics.com/masks_frameless.html

Many people have been "flaming" their masks for the first round of cleaning them (and then just using normal methods pre-dive, like any other mask). I have not heard of anyone having a problem doing this on the Atomic Frameless, and I helped my buddy "flame" his Tilos Framless mask (which would NOT stop fogging, even after aggressive toothepaste scrubbing, etc.). After the flame once-over, it was like a normal mask - no more egregious fogging :)

There was just a recent thread called something like "Has anyone ever wrecked a mask by flaming it?" There were quite a few first-hand experiences in it. Okay, I looked it up and here it is:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/373948-ever-ruined-mask-flaming.html

I bought an Atomic Frameless right at the end of my last dive trip, so I imagine I'll be flaming it before my next dive trip.

Of course only do what you are comfortable with.

Blue Sparkle

I use non-gel toothpaste and the magic eraser on mine: no scratches after 200+ dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom