How to prep lenses on new Tusa Paragon Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just purchased a brand new Tusa Paragon mask (m2001S). The mask has a UV 420 Lens Treatment with AR and CrystalView Optical Glass. Can anyone tell me the best way to prep/clean the lenses on this mask before its first use? I don't want to damage the coating on the lenses. Thank you.

Some will...

Use a lighter
Use a mild abrasive
Use toothpaste
Use seadrops
Rub Nutella in it.......ok, this isn’t real.

A Lighter is a good start but be very careful as you can damage your mask.
After that i personally make a nice cocktail that consts of dish soap, tooth paste and saliva.
Leave it for several hours ( i usually do it over night) and you should be good to go.

Im sure there are a million of other ways to do this but these are the most common ones i know.

I just purchased a brand new Tusa Paragon mask (m2001S). The mask has a UV 420 Lens Treatment with AR and CrystalView Optical Glass. Can anyone tell me the best way to prep/clean the lenses on this mask before its first use? I don't want to damage the coating on the lenses. Thank you.

Ivan...

Having been a long term shop service tech/sales rep...I was told once by the shop owner...''we don't sell spit''...and we don't sell dish soap...however we make lots of money on the marked up price from selling McNett Sea Gold and Sea Buff...

That was all well and good until the coated lens masks started to become popular a number of years ago...and the shop owner had to start replacing customers masks...at no charge to the customer...because the Sea Buff rubbed off the tinted lens coatings...

From that point...I stopped selling Sea Buff to anyone...whether the owner was in the shop or not...no mask was going to be replaced for free as a result of me giving out bad advise...for the sake of putting an additional $10. in the till...

I've never used ''any commercial product'' as a ''new mask pre-cleaner'' on any of my own masks...I use non-abrasive dish soap on a new mask...wash it two/three times until the lenses are ''squeaky'' clean and I've never had any ''fogging'' issues...

A little bit of water from my drinking bottle...spit...moving both around the lens with my finger...tipping out the excess...and not rinsing the mask...has always worked for me...in both warm and cold conditions...

I keep a bottle of Sea Gold in my tool box primarily for someone else on the dive boat to use if they prefer a commercial ''anti-Fog'' and don't happen to have any...

Dive Safe...

Warren

I'm not sure I could take a lighter to a $200 mask.... here is Tusa's recommendations. Baby shampoo and a little baking soda works for me.

TUSA | Support | FAQ

Good luck,
Jay

I'm not sure I could take a lighter to a $200 mask.... here is Tusa's recommendations. Baby shampoo and a little baking soda works for me.

TUSA | Support | FAQ

Good luck,
Jay
Looks like the ARC is on the outside. Go figure. They do direct you to the printed instructions that come with the mask, still curious if there is anything there not in the FAQ.

Q: How do I stop my mask from fogging?
Aftermarket anti-fog solutions are available and can be used on TUSA masks. Companies such as JAWS, McNett, and 500psi amongst others offer suitable products. Please contact your local TUSA retailer for their recommendation.

Q: I have CrystalView AR/UV lenses in my mask, any additional care required?
Masks such as the M-211 Freedom One PRO and M-28S Geminus PRO are equipped with CrystalView AR/UV lenses. These optical glass lenses are treated with a multi-layer proprietary anti-reflective and ultraviolet coating that is hardened for durability. Although not likely, care should be taken when using these lenses as the coating could possibly be scratched or removed. The coating is on the outside of the mask lens, which allows cleaning and use of an anti-fog solution on the inside without issue. Take care to read the included care and maintenance information with each CrystalView AR/UV equipped mask

Every mask is different. Some get by with spit and some require the thermo-nuclear BIC treatment. Since the special coatings are on the exterior any standard method should be safe. I always start out with toothpaste.

There aren't any prep directions included with the mask other than what was mentioned in the above posts. I just spoke with Tusa customer service. They advised to use plain white toothpaste such as Colgate on the inside lens only - not on the outside of the lens. Reason being is that there is a lens coating on the outside of the lens (for tinting) but not on the inside of the lens. Follow up with using Dawn dish soap if necessary.

I use Tusa Hyperdry masks. It takes extreme abrasives to remove the silicone that makes the inside fog. And the outside for that matter. Toothpaste will take hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom