How to pay babysitter when taking her on a trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They might be more convenient, but your children are now in the care of practically random strangers.
But I guess you wouldn't mind being the beneficiary of an in-water rescue by a completely random stranger.

Posted via Mobile Device
Mikhail,

If Turcs and Caicos is an option, then go to the Beaches, leave the babysitter at home and enjoy yourselves and your kid(s). The kids will be busy at the "camp" leaving you plenty of time to dive and have fun. You can even drop the kids off in the evening and enjoy a quiet dinner.

Also, how muc time do the kids spend with the babysitter during the year? I think they will want to spend time with mommy and daddy as much as possible.
We just took a cruise with our kids and my mother (it was a gift trip for her 60th birthday). We also hoped that she would help us get some time just for the two of us. Guess what??? The 22 month old only wanted to be with us and spent only 1 evening with grandma.

Leave the babysitter at home and enjoy the trip. The kids will appreciate it more.

Just my 2 cents...

Not what the OP asked.. Asking the OP how much time his kids spend with the babysitter per year ? :cool2: I'm sure the OP spends plenty of time with his child all year, a vacation is often a needed thing and 2 year olds don't need a vacation nor will they remember it.

Alot of people had good ideas. Just make sure you get in writing what you expect from your babysitter... not so much for a lawyer type thing but if its in writing, she/he might think about this as a business deal as opposed to a vacation. Have fun !:D

But I guess you wouldn't mind being the beneficiary of an in-water rescue by a completely random stranger.
Good guess, but strained analogy. I wouldn't rely on a completely random stranger to rescue me. Similarly, I wouldn't rely on a completely random stranger to care for my children, although I would be happy to have one rescue them if they needed it. Just to belabor the point, in case it's not completely obvious, when you are in need of rescue you will take the completely random stranger's help because the alternative might be a premature death. In Mikhail's situation the alternative is paying slightly more. So you see, in your analogy, premature death = paying slightly more. That is a strained analogy.:wink:

Good guess, but strained analogy....
But you stated, "but your children are now in the care of practically random strangers" - as if there is something wrong with this. Maybe there IS something wrong with it - but people put their children and other loved ones in the care of complete strangers ALL THE TIME and seem to do just fine. So claiming that "your children are now in the care of practically random strangers" just doesn't strike me as a particularly compelling argument.

My experience with full time babysitters has been in mountaineering. I used to pay my full time nanny $150 per week plus room and board plus climbing one or two days a week. Maybe you offer a day of diving or two plus wage.

But you stated, "but your children are now in the care of practically random strangers" - as if there is something wrong with this. Maybe there IS something wrong with it - but people put their children and other loved ones in the care of complete strangers ALL THE TIME and seem to do just fine. So claiming that "your children are now in the care of practically random strangers" just doesn't strike me as a particularly compelling argument.
So we agree that the rescue analogy was silly? Good.

I see your point, that many people are happy to put their children in the care of completely random strangers and view it as a practicable alternative to a trusted babysitter. I would not. (That is a personal value judgement, and I don't judge anybody for deciding otherwise. As I've said, I am not a parent.)

So we agree that the rescue analogy was silly? Good.
Well, it wasn't an analogy - and I also said nothing about whether it was silly :)

I see your point, that many people are happy to put their children in the care of completely random strangers and view it as a practicable alternative to a trusted babysitter. I would not.
Personally, I think most people place too much value on their own children.

It would probably be best for the Scubaboard in general if you and I stopped responding to each other's posts. Nothing personal, but there is already too much pointless bickering here without us. You may have the last word.

Whatever happened to parents being responsible for their kids? Why not spend this time with them? If they really need to get away from them on vacation and let them have fun with someone else so mommy and daddy are not bothered by them why bring them at all. Leave them with the grandparents for a long weekend. With society forcing so many families to have both parents work, when they get a break from that, wouldn't it be better for the kids to have mom and dad's undivided attention instead of just continuing the whole lousy cycle in a different location?

Whatever happened to parents being responsible for their kids?
That's why parents pay the babysitter, rather than having the taxpayers pay for the babysitter via some kind of national babysitter service.

Why not spend this time with them?
Because it is a VACATION.

If they really need to get away from them on vacation and let them have fun with someone else so mommy and daddy are not bothered by them why bring them at all. Leave them with the grandparents for a long weekend.
I couldn't agree more.

With society forcing so many families to have both parents work...
Oh please. People make their own choices. If people want more stuff, or better living conditions than one income can provide, that's hardly society's fault.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom