How to minimize danglies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cut the swivel clip off and thread the line through the loop.

I clipped the DSMB and reel to my rear crotch strap D ring for awhile, never bothered me back there. I dive with tech shorts and pockets for the DSMB/reel now.

I've just completed a week of diving with a new Xdeep Zen BP/W and a DSMB with finger spool. I had the sausage and spool each clipped to the d-ring on the hip weight pocket. It was fine for the spool (bolt-snap), but the DSMB has a plastic swivel clip and that was not easy to unclip at depth. I dove in a rashie with board shorts, so no pocketses.

The "bungie on the backplate" solution looks like a good one, but I'd be concerned about it slipping out and getting lost. I guess I have to look for other methods.

For the DSMB just attach it directly to the spool and skip the swivel clip. Here's an example of how I run mine:
At the 3:33 section where he affixes the D-ring, that would be the nylon strap from the DSMB. I then pull the cord tight and clip one end of the double ender around the line and a hole on the spool. The other end I then clip to my right rear D-ring from the Y crotch strap. No danging, it basically just lays on my right thigh during the dive.

Here’s how I do mine:

9DA9918E-199A-41F6-94B8-4BB3A3D31B79.jpeg
1580223D-481A-4355-8C5F-186D8F4EEC95.jpeg

The spool and DSMB are pretty secure with each other and don’t flop around.

When clipping spools off, using a cave style looping around the bolt snap will keep your kit more secure.

8g - done.jpg

8c - bight and clip.jpg

8e - twirl.jpg

Is this practical for dry gloves? Or do you only undo it underwater and in dry gloves it isn't that difficult?
Definitely.

You do the knitting on the surface, not in the water.

If you're using a simple spool, e.g. doing a jump or lining off, then it's very easy to knit it all back together and clip it back on your D-rings or put it in a butt pack or pocket.

The Apeks spool's very easy in the water with drygloves:

IMG_4565.jpg

IMG_4566.jpg

IMG_4567.jpg

IMG_4568.jpg

My head is hurting trying to follow the routing on the line.
I used to wrap the line behind the trigger for the bolt snap. Until one time it got jammed up under the trigger and made it heck to open the snap even when I was out of the water. So I didn't want to run into that possibility while under and wearing gloves.
I've twisted and played with the snap as I have it pictured and the gate doesn't open on its own, as long as I snap it from the outside in on the spool. If I run the bolt snap from the inside out when the bolt snap folds over the trigger hits the side of the spool and opens the gate. No bueno.

My head is hurting trying to follow the routing on the line.
I used to wrap the line behind the trigger for the bolt snap. Until one time it got jammed up under the trigger and made it heck to open the snap even when I was out of the water. So I didn't want to run into that possibility while under and wearing gloves.
I've twisted and played with the snap as I have it pictured and the gate doesn't open on its own, as long as I snap it from the outside in on the spool. If I run the bolt snap from the inside out when the bolt snap folds over the trigger hits the side of the spool and opens the gate. No bueno.

I just run a loop of bungee at the end of the line, it works a charm, especially in pockets, because even if Murphy decided to **** up your day, you line won't unwind since you have the bungee around the spool working as a brake.

It's very simple, basically at the end of your line you leave a small eye where you put the double ender through. Then before the eyelet knot where you add a small loop of bungee depending on the size of your spool . You just stretch that over you bobbin and it's done.

That way your attachment point is never the gate and the snap can't open unless the line creeps through

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom