How to make $1 million in u/w photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've just spotted this thread on Digitaldiver, which is a discussion on the 12-24mm Nikkor, the sample photos look superb!!

12-24mm Discussion

marpacifica

based on the info you gave you got about the industry standard fee if not a little more, good job

Tooth

after doing some looking on the S2 i would say go for it but also chippy has a some good recommendations on lenses, its just that im not that familair with nikkor mount lense, my main concern was the reports of slow AF on the S2 but after reading further its lag is no more then other DSLRs. also since you have the sea and sea strobes i would go with there housing.

but remember with everything, practice, practice its the only way to learn

Tooth

Scubatooth:
my main concern was the reports of slow AF on the S2

I found that the "D" lens does seems a little slower (with the occasional hunt in very, very low light) than the DX "AF-S" lens, but the DX is sickeningly fast - looking through the viewfinder it snaps into focus faster than the signal between fingertip and brain, so it seemed almost instantaneous!!

As for shutter lag - there ain't none - well no conceivable lag anyway.

Thanks, chippy, tedj, nwdiver2, tooth and mav for your comments. I just got an email from the Aquatica peeps in Canada and they say that my strobes should be compatible as long as I'm using a Nikonos "style" sync cord with 5 pins. I checked out the bulkheads on the strobes and they do indeed have receptacles for 5 pins.

Chippy, I will be PM-ing you soon after I check out some more info sources. I plan to get the S2 body next month when I go back home for a visit, and order the housing and accessories when the checking a/c gives me a green light. I'm leaning toward the Aquatica right now. Seems like that housing uses fewer ports and other parts to fit the lenses I want to get, the 12-24 and the 105. That thread on DD was really helpful, especially seeing the photos.

No problem, i've just dropped you a reply.

I forgot to mention, one of the benefits of the Ike housing is that it uses perspex domes, and ports, so apart from being able the check the seating of the orings, the ports are much cheaper than the glass/aluminium ones. From what I've been told there's not a great deal of quality loss between the two, but perspex scratches more easily than the glass ones.

After coughing out for a FS2 body, 4 x lenses etc, the ike housing and the cheaper ports was definately the way to go for me!!

BTW have you looked at the Sea & Sea housing? I believe it features a Nikon 5 pin bulkhead and looks gorgeous!!

(p.s. Just got an email from the lens supplier - they're out of stock - i'd nabbed the last one, but the Nikon man is popping by them today so he'll be getting some more in)

I like your below surfer shot. Its known as the "Great White Shark" view. (Theme song from Jaws in the background)

Thanks, Eli! It's one of my favorite shots. The editor really liked the texture of the surface of the water.

clive

for one there is no housing for the camera on the market right now.

now the SD10 is still a relatively new technology that hasnt had alot of time in the market. the idea is great in that its using technology similar to what 3CCD video cams do but the sensors are stacked in this case, the one problem i have seen is that there is a bad anti-alaising problem (looks like halos aroound objects), but besides that its a great camera, i just wish it had another lens mount other then sigmas.

Tooth

Scubatooth:
clive

for one there is no housing for the camera on the market right now.

now the SD10 is still a relatively new technology that hasnt had alot of time in the market. the idea is great in that its using technology similar to what 3CCD video cams do but the sensors are stacked in this case, the one problem i have seen is that there is a bad anti-alaising problem (looks like halos aroound objects), but besides that its a great camera, i just wish it had another lens mount other then sigmas.

Tooth

tooth, not too sure if you get the mag over there but here in the UK we have total digital photography.

in this months mag is a 4 page article on macro photography by a guy called Paul Harcourt Davies, he teaches at a couple of Uni's in the UK, lectured overseas and written several books.

i don't understand where you got the halo thing from, as he has used the sd9 and 10 (he also uses a D100) and he says that "the sd9 and 10 beat all other 6MP SLR's that i have seen hands down" and this is comming from a guy who eats, sleeps and teaches photography.

apparently in the sigma software when you convert from RAW to TIFF you can double the file size (it ends up 75MB), he said in the article that he saw an a2 print of a model and you could see the pores in her skin.

just a shame there is no housing :frown2:

Back
Top Bottom