How to know if your regulators have been serviced properly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phazza79

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,

This is my first post and I am relatively new to diving again (it's been a long time). So go easy on me :).

My fiance (who just recently got certified) and I (was certified a long time ago with NAUI up to OW2 / Advanced) just got back into scuba diving and would like to complete more dives and learn a lot more about the wonderful sport.

We have our own gear and are in the process of getting it all serviced.

The question I have is how do you know if your regulators have been properly serviced?

The reason I am asking is because I just got two sets of regs back from a local dive shop, and when I opened the purge cover on one of the sets it looked like this:

http://gdurl.com/PmOA

(not sure how to attach an image. Here is a url).

Firstly, yeah I know that the sand being there is my fault (I have been reading a lot about regulator maintenance and just learned how to take the purge cover off for cleaning).

But do you think that this is a sign that the regs have not even been serviced? I may be being paranoid here but I have a feeling that the guy did not service the regs and just tested them and charged me for a service. He charged me $350+ to service each set. I don't mind paying if the job is done.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you for any help in advance.

I would be unimpressed and would taking them back, showing them and asking what's up?

Two words, "rip" and "off" spring to mind.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 03:01 AM ----------

If they were serviced i.e overhauled then there is absolutely no reason for them to be in that condition. An overhaul, assuming that's what you paid for, and at that price I'd hope so and then some, entails disassemble and thorough cleaning.

Last edited:
I think you got taken sir. Not only should you get a refund, but at $350 per regulator it appears to me you paid too much. You could have bought a new reg for that. I would go somewhere else.

Thank you very much for your replies gents.

I will be going back in on my next day off to have a talk with the guy. I will be interested to see what he has to say.

I may ask for evidence that he ordered parts for the Atomic Aquatics M1's. The other regs are Scubapro and he is a dealer so he may not have had to order parts for them (especially if no parts were changed).

Once again thank you for your replies, it is appreciated.

Pete.

In my experience old parts are usually given back or at least shown. Post back your findings, I'm very interested in what they say. Cheers.

I always get back spare parts since all are replaced at each service. I pay less then $350 for servicing three regs (includes pony) and cleaning and inspection of BCD. I use Air Tech in Rleigh, NC. They service whole US but that may not help you since you appear outside US.

If that picture is the state of the regulator after it has allegedly been serviced but before it has been taken for its first dive post service then no, it has not been serviced correctly. A key part to any regulator service is proper cleaning of all components. At the very least it would be impossible to adequately service the second stage without removing the diaphragm and thereby knock the sand off it.

You should be given or shown the replaced parts (I put the old parts in the packaging from the new service kit and secure that to the regulator for customer's reference). This assures you that all normal service parts have been correctly replaced and if additional parts not normally included in a service were replaced that they were actually in need of replacement.

The price is a little steep but that can sometimes be the result of using a service centre that is not a retailer for that brand. That means the shop may have had to source parts from another retailer rather than from the manufacturer.

yeah thats not good man, the sand should have been washed out during the service, it does indeed look like the tech had not even opened them up.

When I worked for a dive centre that did work on customers regs, it was standard practice to give back old parts that had been removed from the regs as part of the service so the owner could see what had been replaced.

I always get back spare parts since all are replaced at each service. I pay less then $350 for servicing three regs (includes pony) and cleaning and inspection of BCD. I use Air Tech in Rleigh, NC. They service whole US but that may not help you since you appear outside US.

Looks like OP is from Oz, Australia not the wizard.

Definitely call them up and ask them what is going on. Also keep the used parts do not give them back. I have run across shops that like to use the same used parts kits for multiple regs in my 15 years of diving.

Personally, I've had my scuba pro regs come back to me from a well known shop out here dirtier then they went in. That and they forgot to list the regs as serviced on all 5 of them for the parts for life. I ended up calling them up and getting a refund. However I did not know about my parts for life not being continued so the next year when I brought them in no more free service kits. Learned my lesson the hard way. I either do them myself now or I send them off to a friend whom is probably one of the best reg tech's I have ever used.

Regards

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom