How to install bellows pockets on your 3mm wetsuit or any wetsuit for that matter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make me an offer... took about 2 hrs to do it, and I took my time:coffee:

Yeah I have this question too. The more you do, the better you will be at it, and I will do it once in a while at most.

I would love to get some pockets done for me. Make it a little business.

I did mine by putting drybags into the legs to get the material to stretch. It never occured to me to use an ironing board, which seems far superior to the dry bag method.:wink:

Thanks for posting the tutorial, I'll try your way when I have to install more pockets.

Do you have any idea if the Golem Gear pockets are any bigger than the Dive Rite pockets? I have Dive Rite pockets on my wet suit, and wish they were a little bigger.

I might have to just break down and get some Halcyon pockets, but it sure is tough to beat the price for the Golem pockets.

Thanks,
Mitch

Thanks for all the great comments. I've got some more ideas of how to articles I'm going to post soon.

Thanks, will be looking for more good stuff. I really like the masking tape and ironing board ideas. Why didn't I think of that :idk:

I have glued on several pockets, and used books, cardboard and finally an AL 80 tank to stretch the suits. Will "borrow" the wifes ironing board next time. None of mine look as neat as yours. The tape will solve that. Thanks again for sharing.

Do you have any idea if the Golem Gear pockets are any bigger than the Dive Rite pockets? I have Dive Rite pockets on my wet suit, and wish they were a little bigger.
The Golem Gear pockets a slightly smaller than the Halcyon pockets without all the zippers, attached bungee cord and wet note pocket. But they are 2 - 3 times bigger than the dive rite pocket. I can put an smb, spool, spare mask and several double enders in one with room to spare.

Thanks Mustang,

I'm going to order some. I just wanted to make sure they were bigger.

I appreciate it.

Mitch

Yikes, not sure what happened to my post here, but let me see if I can reconstruct it.

pedo, I think there may be a misunderstanding here. It looks to me like mustang_5l's wetsuit does have a nylon layer on the neoprene. It's actually pretty rare to find skin-out neoprene anymore in an "off the rack" wetsuit, I think.

Anyway, I used to make various things with neoprene for kayaking, and that neoprene was usually "nylon 1" (nylon on one side, skin on the other). Nevertheless, we often glued it nylon-side to nylon-side and it worked just find. You just need to add enough glue to be sure it has not all "soaked in" to the nylon (as mustang_5l did do).

I just didn't want you to think you had to start tearing the nylon off your wetsuit.

Blue Sparkle

PS: Very nice photo tutorial, mustang_5l :)

Great! Just checked back on this thread. Thanks for clearing that up.

Will Aquasure work on trilaminate drysuit material when attaching a pocket with neoprene backside?

Funny yet informative. The joys of boredom. My gf's gonna hate me when I try this. Thanks for the write up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom