How to install bellows pockets on your 3mm wetsuit or any wetsuit for that matter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mustang_5l

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
How to install bellows pockets on your 3mm wetsuit or any wetsuit for that matter.

I’ve decided to write this article since there is a lack of information and pictures on DIY wetsuit pocket installation information out there... and I was bored.

The wetsuit I am using is the Bare 3/2. I opted for the Golem gear pockets (Golem Gear Pocket For Dry Suit ) as they are big and cheap. (They were on sale for $25ea when I bought them.) They are only rivalled by my Halcyon Explorer pockets on my drysuit.
The backing of the pockets is made of neoprene so I opted for the black neoprene cement.( ISC Catalog : Liquids & Adhesives ) ... and because its all the local dive store carried. I’ve also heard you can use aquaseal, however it is not recommended as there is no stretchiness to it.

DSC00786.jpg

First I started by donning the wetsuit. I placed my hands inside the pockets with my fingers touching the bottom of the pockets. I then placed them against my thighs. This is a two person job so I had my wife help me with the aligning of the pockets to make sure they were symmetrical. I then had her trace the outline of the pockets on the wetsuit with a white seamstress pencil ($2.00 for several at the local dollar store). From there I removed the wetsuit and proceeded to the garage. I stole my wife’s ironing board without telling her and stretched the first leg onto the board. In case you didn’t know... neoprene will compress when not being stretched. If you didn’t know this stop and don’t continue...

Moving along... I stretched the first leg over the ironing board and used a few clamps I had laying around to help hold it in place and take the approximate shape that was traced on the leg. Close but not perfect is fine.
I then used some masking tape and with the pocket laid out on top of the leg I masked off the entire perimeter of the pocket including the edges. I
I would just like to mention that if you have any shiny labelling or surfaces that are not neoprene (like the bare logo) I suggest that you scuff it up before applying the cement to aid in adhesion. I didn’t and have not had any issues. But it is an area of possible weakness later on down the road.

DSC00782.jpg

DSC00783.jpg

DSC00785.jpg

I then removed the pocket and placed it aside.

Put on some disposable nitrile gloves, you don’t want this stuff getting all over your hands and everywhere else. This stuff is sticky and messy even with the brush in the can. I coated the entire masked off area with a coating of the neoprene cement. It gets sucked into the neoprene quick.

DSC00787.jpg

While that was drying... approximately 5-10minutes I coated the back side of the first pocket.
DSC00788.jpg

And allowed that to dry 5-10 minutes while that was drying I went back to the drysuit for coat # 2 and then back to the pocket

DSC00789.jpg

DSC00790.jpg

For the third coat I really lathered on what was left in the can for both the suit and the pocket.

BTW you will need 1 x 4oz can for each pocket to be installed. Luckily for me the dive shop had one more in stock.

I let both the pocket and wetsuit become dry to the touch. About 10-15minutes or less with the help of a heat gun :wink: There may be a few wet looking spots but that is fine. Just past the point of tacky. You can feel this with your gloves.

DSC00791.jpg

Now, remove the masking tape. The area where you will put the pocket should clearly be visible.

Put on a fresh clean pair of gloves and pick up the pocket. Position it over the wetsuit IN THE PROPER DIRECTION! (You only have 1 shot at this so don’t f#$% it up!) Then when you are satisfied with the positioning allow the wet sides to contact each other. It will then be stuck and you won’t be able to adjust it anymore. Pat it down all over and use your trusty coke can or beer bottle to roll out any bubbles that may be trapped between the materials. Pay close attention to the edges as they are the areas where you can have issues later on if not done properly.

Now once you are satisfied that there are no bubbles find something flat and heavy to place over top of the pocket to help press it together while the cement sets. I used an old camping skillet loaded with spare weights I had lying around.

DSC00793.jpg

Leave it for 24hours and then remove weights and check for proper adhesion. If you followed these directions you should have a properly cemented pocket...

Remove the leg from the ironing board and get ready to do it all over again with a second pocket n the other leg if you need to have another pocket.

Some people say you should have these pockets sewn on but others say the neoprene materiel of the suit is too thin to withstand repeated use. Having them glued on works for me just fine.

I’ll post the pictures of the finished product once the second pocket dries tomorrow.

PS don't tell my wife I used the ironing board!

John

i just did 2 coats on wetsuit+pockets, final coat and press together with a bunch of heavy books (e.g. old copy of CRC handbook of chemistry and physics and a couple other books that size), wasn't so careful with the masking tape, didn't use a heat gun. used most of a can of cement on each pocket, i think. yours probably looks better...

Thanks for the write up.

When I glue my pockets I have first put two sleeping bags ; one in each trouser leg - so that can be neoprene streched and comfortable.

Then masked with paper tape as mustang 5l did

I use 2 glues - inner the same as mustang 5l , but only on the edge of pocket I have made cca 20mm with AQUASURE which is much stronger that black one.

After all done, I have wraped tight all pocket (including sleeping bag inside ) with wide scotch tape ( regular plastic one ).

Trauser leg holds a little streched shape and is very comfortable at dressing it.

I need to do this on my Typhoon 3mm compressed neoprene drysuit.

I don't think I need to stretch it however as it is not stretched when I put it on. Thoughts?

Oh.... where was this article when I glued my pockets on? Masking tape... of course! I missed out on that one.

Beautiful result there. Thanks for posting :D

This is really helpful, especially with the photos. Glad you were bored enough to do it. :D

Thanks for posting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom