How to inhale with mouth only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoredivr's detailed description explains what I've always said--"Just block off your nose" to breathe only through the mouth (or mouth, if you want to only breathe with the nose). I hadn't thought of his point about having a reg. in the mouth changing exactly what you do to block off the nose. I never noticed anything different myself, but lots of snorkeling for decades may have helped.
A real possibility may be that she is not really blocking the nose passage, or only partially blocking it when trying to breathe from the mouth only in Air. Then when underwater the insufficiently blocked nose passage lets water in. Make sense? So, something may be mental, or for that reason. Other than what shoredivr mentioned about reg in mouth, I can't see any procedure difference in Air vs. underwater.
I have always advised practising in Air first. In her case, just make sure the nose is blocked off completely. One can physically make a sound in there when doing this ---something like "Huck"..

Last edited:
I tried to do this "close off nasal passage" thing and breathe through my mouth at the same time. I can't do it. If I manually try to block off the nasal passage I block off all air.

I also don't think you can breathe through the nose AND mouth at the same time. So if she's getting water in the nose, she's using her nose.

Yes you can easily breathe through both places at the same time--well in Air only. I've done it my whole life and call myself a "both" breather.
As for your inability to close off either mouth or nose (one or the other), I have heard people say that some people can't do this. I always find that hard to believe, but perhaps shoredivr or others more qualified than I can address that.
A side light--It may be a good idea for the DM course to include a lot of Airway stuff, as it seems to be the problem that more students have than any other.

For whatever reason, air can only go in either my mouth or nose at any given time, but not both at once. I can alternate during the same inhalation process but not both at once.

I have found that by imitating bad french/snobby accents, I closed off my nose quite readily, but if you dive partner is more self conscious and not a complete ham like me, this won't work.

OK guruboy, I got it.
She also did that but kept choking making her didn't wanna practice anymore.
(Yup, maybe I should replace a friend as you said)

choking was the point....

It's also a safety thing. I won't certify someone who can't breathe with their mask off underwater. what happens if their mask floods or gets kicked off?

Hello guys,
My friend is learning OW, and she has an issue that she can't inhale with mouth only. i.e. She can't breath underwater without mask. However, when she practiced that in the air, she had no problem to inhale with mouth only (without 2nd stage). She also can inhale by mouth only with snorkel. The problem is that once she's using 2nd stage, she inhales with both mouth and nose. (weird!)
Is there any tips for her to practice?

She can do it, but it's a matter of learning.

Her problem is very common, actually, and just like learning any skill (say, like rubbing your belly while patting the top of your head) with a little practice, it becomes easy.

The question then becomes, "what kind of practice"?

In a typical open water course the instructor will rush you to get underwater and try clearing the mask right away. However, that's ... well... to put it bluntly.... wrong.

The VERY FIRST skill you need to learn in open water is how to breathe. How I do that is to stand in water waist deep with no mask on and just the regulator in the mouth and to bend over until your face is in the water..... then just breathe. In through the mouth, out through the mouth (and repeat)..... then after we have that nailed, we breathe in through the mouth and out through the nose (and repeat)..... then we mix it up (and repeat)..... and I keep at it until it's literally *mastered*. If they can't do it they lift their head up and try again. I tell them that it's OK.. If this goes on for a while I ask them to pinch the nose shut and then slowly "unpinch" the nose as they start feeling more confident. The approach is designed to reduce (or if possible eliminate) stress. If people find it hard I reassure them that it's common and tell them that I'm not in a hurry and that they can take as long as they need to learn this. (more on this below)

[side bar]
It's ESSENTIAL if you use this technique (speaking to instructors now) that the student has a feeling that they are absolutely SAFE and absolutely UNRUSHED. It helps if they achieve an early success and you compliment them on it so it reinforces that they can learn things that they find difficult while feeling safe and unrushed. Still speaking to instructors, one of my recent students (who is a manager of other people in real life) told me that while he was taking the course he observed what I do as compared to other instructors he observed during his time with us (both our own instructors and 'random' instructors at the lake) and he told me that my greatest gift was to completely eliminate the feeling of "time pressure" out of the course even though he knew that I must have moments that I thought it was going too slowly. Naturally you are going to feel time pressure at some point(s) but making the student aware of that is often devastating to the results you get and especially with these kinds of fundamental skills.
[/side bar]

The above approach may seem obvious, even trivial, and I guess training agencies think so too or this would be the first skill in the standards, but it isn't. Nevertheless, people with your friend's problem show up immediately and as I said, they are fairly common.

In most cases my own students get through this phase within the timeline of module-1 without complications. For some it doesn't require any effort.... In rare cases (I've had one or two over the years) I've worked on this skill extensively before going on to scuba. In one case I left a student on the surface with the DM to just swim over the surface for a whole lesson (1 hour) with no mask on. You would think this student was "way behind schedule" and so did she.... saying, "I'm lagging" but I assured her that it was necessary, that it was no problem and that *I* wasn't worried at all about it. And I wasn't kidding. due to the efficiency gains of getting this sorted out straight out of the gate, she got back on par with the other students in the very next lesson, although I did spend an hour extra with her in the pool later in the course on her buoyancy and to give her the feeling that the first lesson wasn't "wasted".

The biggest advantage I see to this approach is that the student can experience that they have this issue with no panic and no stress and they can work on sorting it out without any pressure of having to "perform additional tricks" while they are ALSO trying to get their breathing sorted out.

So the good news is that unless your friend is a really hard core case, she should be able to get this down in a matter of 10 or maybe 15 minutes if she connects up with the right instructor. This is the amount of time I normally take for this in OW.

There's more good news too, because if you actually start like this then she won't have any trouble with the mask skills once she goes under water. I've had the odd student who had to pinch the nose shut the first few times but by the time they get into the second module (second hour under water) these problems clear up and melt away like snow to the sun.

.... that is.... if you do it right. If you start with breathing and if you don't rush students in module 1 and if you are smart about getting THIS one VERY fundamental skill sorted out before all others, even if it's not on the "standards" checklist.

R..

Maybe try the breathing from snorkel only thing while standing the water but start off with her pinching her nose. Could do this for a minute or until she becomes relaxed. Continue breathing with face in water and pinched nose, then release pinching her nose while her face is still in the water.

Maybe try the breathing from snorkel only thing while standing the water but start off with her pinching her nose. Could do this for a minute or until she becomes relaxed. Continue breathing with face in water and pinched nose, then release pinching her nose while her face is still in the water.
OP already stated she has no issues when breathing from a snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom