Question How to improve dive skills as a rec diver - alternatives to GUE fundamentals course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, dude, he didn't say or imply that. Never mind the title. In the post he explains that GUE Fundies "could be" exactly what he needs, as may be offerings through other agencies as well. He did not assert that GUE Fundies is the only way to go about this.
Title of this thread.

Dive with, or around, people who dive like you want to dive. Find a mentor, whether it is an instructor or somebody else willing to dive with you. Dive a lot. Fundies is a great experience, and in my experience, the instructors are going to be dialed in. That isn't necessarily the case with peak performance buoyancy or something along those lines. Video can also be a very good and humbling tool. If the person you are getting pointers from asks "how's my trim?", you didn't find the right mentor.

Dive with, or around, people who dive like you want to dive. Find a mentor, whether it is an instructor or somebody else willing to dive with you. Dive a lot. Fundies is a great experience, and in my experience, the instructors are going to be dialed in. That isn't necessarily the case with peak performance buoyancy or something along those lines. Video can also be a very good and humbling tool. If the person you are getting pointers from asks "how's my trim?", you didn't find the right mentor.
I also think that finding someone good to dive with may be very beneficial. The comment about video is also spot on.

We’ve had several interesting occurrences during dives and both buddies can describe the situation from their perspective, but almost invariably “the replay” shows a third “reality”. It is almost comical how your perception of time and sometimes sequence is less than accurate, when you are confronted with the head cam footage. It is quite useful and can assist in development of a more cohesive buddy team.

1. Two day, multi-dive charter, small mixed group in Picton. A woman that "dressed the part" (tshirt, sweatshirt, maybe a jacket), name dropped everyone she trained with or "knew", and talked about herself a whole bunch. Left after first day because she was too good for the rest of the group.... The charter captain is a member here, and he just might confirm this if contacted. We all got a laugh out of it...

Contrast that to:

2. A couple I dove with in Tobermory on a mixed walk-on charter. Impressive in how they approached the diving and the team they were (it was a husband and wife), but just kept to themselves. A little over the top for a 55' dive, but we all do our thing and we all had fun. No complaint at all. Good folks.

3. Conversations with Bob Sherwood (the most humble and well grounded man I have met).

4. The group I had raft off me on the Keystorm. I passed them on my way up on the tag line. They were in dry suits, doubles, scooters, and every compliment of technical equipment. I was on a vintage double hose, single tank, wet suit, and breathing air. We all talked and had some good fun dialogue afterward, and an exchange of respect both ways.

Yes, outliers do occasionally pee in the pool...

Ha, and a couple of people thought GUE was a figment of imagination! 😁

Agreed, #1 is unfortunate. In my experience, the only ones whom I have seen being vocal were the ones who didn't pass. Some still praised and recommended GUE highly and others told people that they did the training but decided it wasn't for them.

#2 and #4 sound like a nice day with divers just being divers and enjoying their common interests.

#3. I love Bob Sherwood. He is TOUGH when training, but still manages to have fun and be fun during training or just any old dive.

As people sometimes say, the ones with the most experience and training often come off as the most humble and the last ones to sing their own praises. ie) they have nothing to prove.

I'm with @Lorenzoid regarding the GUE swag. I've never worn GUE shirts or a hoodie in "mixed" company. I've only worn them to GUE events.

How do I give a thumbs down to this post?
They added a dislike reaction to the list

Title of this thread.
The tile is saying that he believes that GUE Fundies is a good class for his level to improve his skills but he does not know an equivalent class in other agencies at his level of diving that would focus on core skills.

I'm a recreational diver. I might suggest looking at joining a dive club like bsac if you were staying in one location. If not diving and lot and traveling renting gear is fine or bring your bp wing etc. Just buy your own dive computer. I own all my gear but I try to get in 200 plus dives a year. In Bali now for 17 diving days will get in perhaps 45 dives. Off to Bohol Cebu for 2 weeks from 24 October will get in 40 plus dives, to Moalboal Cebu in December for a TDI ANDP Course and maybe 25 dives. Next year I plan on 12 - 14 weeks of diving over the year.

If you were diving like me don't need an agency just dive with other divers willing to pass on some knowledge to you. As you do dive so infrequently it's hard to improve and spending money on courses is fine if you will do more diving to keep your skillset refreshed.
This is actually a very good idea, specially in a Belgian context. Most people tend to dive in non commercial clubs, or affiliated to the local CMAS chapter or to another agency.

Also most of the Belgian GUE divers retain their membership (and something are still very active) in their local CMAS/PADI/Whatyouwant club. So best of both worlds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom