Question How to improve dive skills as a rec diver - alternatives to GUE fundamentals course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you been diving with them? Please tell us about your experience...

1. Two day, multi-dive charter, small mixed group in Picton. A woman that "dressed the part" (tshirt, sweatshirt, maybe a jacket), name dropped everyone she trained with or "knew", and talked about herself a whole bunch. Left after first day because she was too good for the rest of the group.... The charter captain is a member here, and he just might confirm this if contacted. We all got a laugh out of it...

Contrast that to:

2. A couple I dove with in Tobermory on a mixed walk-on charter. Impressive in how they approached the diving and the team they were (it was a husband and wife), but just kept to themselves. A little over the top for a 55' dive, but we all do our thing and we all had fun. No complaint at all. Good folks.

3. Conversations with Bob Sherwood (the most humble and well grounded man I have met).

4. The group I had raft off me on the Keystorm. I passed them on my way up on the tag line. They were in dry suits, doubles, scooters, and every compliment of technical equipment. I was on a vintage double hose, single tank, wet suit, and breathing air. We all talked and had some good fun dialogue afterward, and an exchange of respect both ways.

Yes, outliers do occasionally pee in the pool...

Yes, outliers do occasionally pee in the pool...
Fair enough. Nice examples. My wife and I are definitely like Example 2 (in fact, that would be exactly like our dive in Tobermory). Example 1 is unfortunate. I get a GUE t-shirt every year as member swag, but I have only worn them around the house and where my wife and I are diving alone or with another GUE diver--never on a walk-on boat. I have given away some nearly new GUE shirts. There may be an islander in a Fiji village wearing one that I brought for giving away only--I didn't wear it during the trip.

I have an overwhelmingly positive view of the GUE divers that I have met over time.

Now if they could just do something about that "buddy requirement", that they all have wrapped around their axles, I might take fundies...

Now if they could just do something about that "buddy requirement", that they all have wrapped around their axles, I might take fundies...
You’re out of your mind! At your age? 🤣😂

Old divers and bold divers. I just don't have the bandwidth to watch over someone else anymore.
I meant taking Fundies at your age. That’s cray cray thinking! 🤣😁

Dive more.

Absolutely yes, often diving in the same team and/or for the same project. It's cool when people from different backgrounds come together, because they bring different perspective, don't you think?
Different perspective would not be tolerated by GUE!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom