How to import dives logged into other computer, with annotations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walkonmars

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have a Petrel 2 and downloading logging dives onto two separate Mac computers.
One is a desktop and the other is a laptop.
I wanted to import dives from the laptop to the desktop(primary).
I originally tried to import by going into the file directory of the laptop and copied the "swlogzp" files into a thumb drive, then transferred them to a folder on the desktop. I then used the "file, import, divelog(s)" feature on the shearwater desktop, one by one. The dive data seems to have made the transfer but the location titles, notes and annotations I entered on the laptop are blank. I also tried to drop the files directly into the log directory but Shearwater Desktop did not show the dives when I opened the application after re-opening the application. Any easy solutions?

Hi walkonmars,

To move dives, along with your notes and annotations, you can use the "File->Backup Database" function. This will allow you to save a .db file.

Copy the saved .db file to your new computer, then use "File->Merge Database". This will merge the dives from the backup .db with the dives already on your new computer. If you use "Restore/Overwrite Database" then the dives previously on the new computer will be lost, replaced with the contents of the .db file.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

what tyler said. Unfortunately they haven't gotten around to allowing you to choose a save location for the database, so when I'm done, I backup the file, and put it on onedrive, then open that file before I start. Really annoying, and hope they allow you to choose the save location, but hopes aren't high. The computers are brilliant, but the desktop software leaves a lot to be desired

what tyler said. Unfortunately they haven't gotten around to allowing you to choose a save location for the database, so when I'm done, I backup the file, and put it on onedrive, then open that file before I start. Really annoying, and hope they allow you to choose the save location, but hopes aren't high. The computers are brilliant, but the desktop software leaves a lot to be desired
To be clear, you can only list a save location for the backups, and the restore-froms. The actual database is buried in the program files.

But as long as you can backup anywhere you want, who cares, right?

Thanks for the quick reply.
On a side note: I'm happy with the Petrel. The improved streamlining of the Perdix having a similar screen (if not better) and smaller overall form factor would have been nice to have but I felt equally annoyed with my former Suunto Vytek (puck style) catching and binding on straps when putting on a BC. Someday a company will develop a computer as thin as a curved slate, and then I will be happy. (Hint: You could slip the computer on like a sock. Any takers?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom