How to get your "buddies" attention?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of those electric dog collars that deliver a shock when the buddy/dog goes to far/is not paying attention :)
This could be handy for a lot of divers :)
I like the ones w/the adjustable voltage :) !!!!!

What accessory would you suggest to get your "buddies" attention. I recently descended with a woman that used her hands to pull herself forward in silt to get moving forward then really blacked things out when she started finning. Never looked back. I obviously lost her.

I have a Diver Alert but not the kind that sounds underwater. I want something easy to use, loud, and fast. I don't want to be searching in my BC pocket for it. Would a tank banger do the trick or is there something better?

I use my finger. If I can't poke my buddy in the side to get his attention, we're too far apart.

When you're out of air or something bad happens, it doesn't make much difference if your buddy can hear you if he's 100' away.

Also, sound is difficult to localize underwater so even if you get a banger or honker, it's hard for people to tell who is making the noise.

flots.

Last edited:
i flash my light at him. if that doesn't work because of where we are, like the low vis but bright quarry, i usually can wait a sec & he'll visually check on me & i can signal him.

What accessory would you suggest to get your "buddies" attention. I recently descended with a woman that used her hands to pull herself forward in silt to get moving forward then really blacked things out when she started finning. Never looked back. I obviously lost her.

A diver who does this is unlikely to notice any sound you make, no matter how loud, let alone respond adequately. In that case there's only really one solution which is to physically grab on to them so you don't lose them.

I don't know how committed you are to diving with this person. Walk away if you can and if you can't then you need to get this on the table and work on skills together.

R..

Staying together and staying in communication is a joint effort. One diver can only cover so much of the responsibility. I have dived with divers who are really oblivious, and if they move slowly enough, I can make up for their complete lack of awareness. If they move too fast, we'll get separated. The type of buddy who moves fast and doesn't notice you're lost is the kind who won't respond to light signals, and is likely at best to be confused by sounds. As said, the best you can do is debrief the dive afterwards and see if you can persuade the "buddy" to make some changes. If not, you need someone else with whom to dive.

These type of threads always discuss things in absolutes which are not.

If I am diving with 100' vis I separate much farther vs diving in the muddy Colorado lakes. Depth also plays a role. If I am diving in 25' of water with 50' vis I really do not depend on a buddy as I can easily go to the surface in an emergency. I will stick with my buddy but we may be 20' apart. If you can not see 10' then that dictates how far you can be from a buddy. Team diving does not work well in low vis situations.

So how far is OK when diving? Well that depends a lot on how far one can see.... :wink:

It has more to do with how far you can swim after exhaling without another breath from the regulator. Basing allowable seperation on visibility is wrong.

Just one bristle work down their wetsuit and they'll never stop keeping you in sight! :D

Elena and I have clued in on each other's voice in the water. I yell "O' Elena!" through my reg and she turns around to see whatever I have found. I love it!

I think noisemakers have their place. I often dive as part of a group of 6-8 friends. Although we're buddied up, sometimes you want to get the whole group's attention. That said, I agree it's annoying to be diving with people who overuse them. A noisemaker shouldn't be used as a crutch to make up for lax buddying.

Back
Top Bottom