How to get your "buddies" attention?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What accessory would you suggest to get your "buddies" attention. I recently descended with a woman that used her hands to pull herself forward in silt to get moving forward then really blacked things out when she started finning. Never looked back. I obviously lost her.

I have a Diver Alert but not the kind that sounds underwater. I want something easy to use, loud, and fast. I don't want to be searching in my BC pocket for it. Would a tank banger do the trick or is there something better?

Accessories aren't the answer to your problem. Proper training and execution of buddy procedures are. You shouldn't ever be so far away from your dive team that you cannot communicate effectively. Just like in a car, where you don't drive faster than you have the visibility to stop - in diving you don't dive further away than you can see your buddy. If that means you're holding on to their arm or harness, then so be it. Take a read through "touch communication" procedures that are used in caves and wreck exits with zero visibility.

The only acceptable communication tools are your hands, your light and a slate or notepad. Accessories that make noise ruin other peoples' good times and give everyone the favor of having you scare off skittish wild life.

@Kharon please heed DevonDiver and Mathauck0814's advice and suggestions.

There are very few things worse on a dive than hearing someone incessantly banging and clanging trying to get the attention of others. :no:

One of those electric dog collars that deliver a shock when the buddy/dog goes to far/is not paying attention :)
This could be handy for a lot of divers :)

:rofl3: If only......

It does sound though like it would have taken more than that for Kharon to get the woman's attention. A spear gun maybe would have done it? :gas:

Barring that (dam laws get in the way of so many good ideas :shakehead: ) sometimes the only way to get a "buddy"-'s (and I use the word loosely here) attention is after the dive, when you explain in no uncertain terms why they will never be your buddy again, and why.

I just cover my light in the caves and that usually gets my buddies attention. For open water Well I use my wedding ring against my pressure gauge makes some noise that my regular dive buddies know to listen for.
If I am diving with strangers I am a big fan of Same Ocean Diving. Be self sufficient.

You didn't mention the location / conditions of the dive. One option would be to go a bit shallower and look for her silt trail below. Another option is to stay close enough to grab the buddy if vis is that poor. If you are in an overhead, well, that's a whole 'nuther can of air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom