How to get the most out of Cayman trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This will be our first Caribbean trip. We are still relatively new to diving 30+ dives, all in Key Largo. SG x 2 and everything else on the reefs. We have AOW and nitrox cert. I have sky miles that will cover flight to GC or discounts to other Caribbean destinations. Leaning towards the Caymans. April time frame, maybe sooner if we can wait. I think we could leave on a Thursday evening out of Atlanta and retun 10 days later. Has anyone hit the diving on all three in one trip without doing a liveaboard? If so, please share the plan. Been looking at Brac reef resort. Really like the idea of not having to mess with the gear much once there. They mention to get the most from your dive to use a comp. Does this indicate that you can stay down as long as your profile and air will let you. They do not return from the the 2 tank dives till after 2:00. Guess it depends on how far the reefs are too.

Package for Brac reef seems reasonable. 1495$ all meals included. Six days of 3 tank diving. 3 drinks per evening. a free dive video or 6/2 tanks dives and 2 meals/day for $1195.

Other 2 destinations we are considering are Roatan and Bonaire.

Opinions and/or experience please??

underachiever:
This will be our first Caribbean trip. We are still relatively new to diving 30+ dives, all in Key Largo. SG x 2 and everything else on the reefs. We have AOW and nitrox cert. I have sky miles that will cover flight to GC or discounts to other Caribbean destinations. Leaning towards the Caymans. April time frame, maybe sooner if we can wait. I think we could leave on a Thursday evening out of Atlanta and retun 10 days later. Has anyone hit the diving on all three in one trip without doing a liveaboard? If so, please share the plan. Been looking at Brac reef resort. Really like the idea of not having to mess with the gear much once there. They mention to get the most from your dive to use a comp. Does this indicate that you can stay down as long as your profile and air will let you. They do not return from the the 2 tank dives till after 2:00. Guess it depends on how far the reefs are too.

Package for Brac reef seems reasonable. 1495$ all meals included. Six days of 3 tank diving. 3 drinks per evening. a free dive video or 6/2 tanks dives and 2 meals/day for $1195.

I think it is a good deal at the Brac Reef. You would be able to experience Little Cayman as well as Brac diving. If you do hit all three and you are able to get one or two days of diving on Grand Cayman, make sure you dive StingRay City and if you have the chance the North Wall. The Brac Reef has been filling up due to the fact that the Divi is now closed on the Brac, so you might not want to wait to the last minute before getting your reservation if you are going to the Brac.
Other 2 destinations we are considering are Roatan and Bonaire.

We were at Brac Reef just a month ago and it was great ! We only had seven days and should have added a few more. There's just so much to do !

I'm a runner - so I got up early every morning and went for a nice long run (the roads are well lit for pre-dawn runs, back in time for breakfast and off diving. (DAN suggests to have a minimum of 2 hours rest before diving after strenous exercise) We had a great boat crew !

They insist that you dive with a computer and will provide one if you don't have one. It's not that the dives are deep or particulary long - it's just a good idea from a safety point of view to have a computer and know how to use it.

After diving, we took advantage of the free bicycles and went island exploring - that was fun !

We did dive sites on Cayman Brac and Little Cayman as well

NAIBDiver1

I wouldn't try and do more than 2 of the islands in 10 days, personally I would choose GC and LC. (You always hear about people staying on the Brac trying to get in dives to LC, not so much the other way around.) Doing 3 islands you would waste too much time drying, packing, traveling, not diving your last day there, etc. And not as relaxing.

whatever you do, you must go to Foster's Supermarket and buy some Pims.

eat the Pims; watch the locals.

Foster's is the center of the universe, man

Didn't know you could buy Pims (sp?) at Fosters (or eat it for that matter). Need to have a word with Woody next time I see him.

Hi underachiever,

We (family of 4) just returned from Little Cayman (4 nights) and Grand Cayman (5) and had the best trip out of half dozen trips to the Caribbean over the past 4 yrs (also did a trip to Fiji in '05). There is spectacular diving on both islands, with Bloody Bay Wall on LC rating as probably our all time favorite dive site and island as well.

Your trip takes so long from Cayman Brac to Little Cayman in order to dive the wall, so why not stay at LC? You can get 3 dives in the same amount of time it takes 2 from the Brac.

Little Cayman Beach Resort http://www.littlecayman.com/ has rooms, as well as condos at The Club and Conch Club. It is an excellent place to stay with well trained, pleasant and courteous staff. We upgraded from a 2 bedroom at Conch Club to a 3 bedroom at The Club and felt it was one of the best places we have ever stayed in the Caribbean as well as East Coast U.S. beaches. Very convenient to walk to LCBR for meals, entertainment. Nice little grocery store in the island has plenty of food, and we purchased breakfast items, as well as snacks, and drinks. We rode bikes just about every where. After purchasing our groceries and drinks, the owner of the booze store gave me a ride with all of our supplies back to our condo.

3 bedroom 1 floor (upper) ocean front condo with porch was wonderful. Great views, nice outdoor hot tub and pool.

We ate breakfast and some lunches at condo and all our dinners at various resorts, which pick you for free. Food was very good at LCBR and we also ate excellent food at Pirate's Point (Gladys Howard studied under Julia Child), a great Friday buffet at Southern Cross, and Hungry Iguana, across the street from the airport.

LC is an amazing island with the Caribbean on one side and a long pond on the other which is the largest red footed bobie nesting site in Western hemisphere. 10 miles long and 1 mile wide at it's widest, with 100 residents and around 100 tourists. The entire island seems like one huge nature preserve. We rented a car the last day and spent a couple hours driving around the island on a well maintained road.

The diving on LC rocks!!! Reef Divers http://www.littlecayman.com/diving/dive_shop.php has several 42' Newton custom dive boats that are the largest and most powerful on the island. All of the dive resorts are on the southwest side of LC and we were the only dive shop that was able to get out one day to the Bloody Bay Wall on the north side.

The sites on BBW and Jacksons Bight are unbelievable. The boat moors in 20 to 35' or so, while the stern is sitting over the 6,000 foot wall. Divers dive their own profiles, so you can dive on top of the wall, 100 or so feet down, or inside the wall parallel to the shore (which is never more than a couple hundred yards away), with very healthy coral heads, sand, turtles, rays, eels, reef fish, etc. The wall is breath taking, covered up and down with large, healthy, colorful hard and soft corals as far as the eye can see.

You leave the dock around 8:15 a.m., arrive back at the dock for lunch around 12:30 - 12:45 p.m., and leave for an afternoon dive around 1:50 p.m.

Nitrox is readily available and once you leave your equipment with the dive shop, the only thing you do is rinse your wetsuit, mask, and fins and hang them to dry in their large storage area, test your nitrox, and label your tanks. Pick up your suit, etc. in the morning and dive, dive, dive....

I can't say enough good things about our experience on LC!

If you would prefer to stay on Grand Cayman, the best choice would be Ocean Frontiers and either Compass Point or the Reef Resort. The East End of the island, where Ocean Frontiers is located provides access to GC's best sites. The Reef Resort is downright luxurious at a great price, and Compass Point (where I haven't stayed personally) is affiliated with Ocean Frontiers and offers dive oriented accommodations for budget prices. I've never been to LC, so I can't really compare the diving from firsthand experience. The East End of GC is famous for its dropoffs with possible pelagic encounters, but even more famous for its shallow dives, which are riddled with caverns and swim-throughs. The topography is great and the reefs have healthy sponge growth and plenty of schooling fish (although I have heard people say LC has a bit more life). Grand Cayman has plenty of good snorkeling, I've never heard that said about Little Cayman. Grand Cayman also has Stingray City. Stingray City is a bit touristy, but few things can beat feeding friendly 6 ft. southern stingrays in 12 ft. of water. Just a little food for thought there.
-Mantasscareme

www.oceanfrontiers.com
www.thereef.com.ky

What a great vacation … I am home now. Sunburn, sore, and smiling I had to say a few words about the dive operation I was with last week:
http://www.divetech.com/
Dive Tech Grand Cayman was top of the line, from the staff to the boats and the great locations they have. 3 day pkg $99 per day 2 tank boat am (North wall or other sites)….. all the free tanks you can dive for the rest of the day pm (including great night dives)
We did not want to do the hole resort thing due to $$$ So I found a guest house 1 bdr. 1 bath, full kitchen in the West Bay area of the island for $955 a week 345-926-0119 Rocky Shore Guest House, Chris and Trina where the perfect host and I would fully recommend them to any friend of mine. If any of you get that way tell them Kim Porter said hi.

The Caymans are fantastic but expensive. Roatan in my opinion is great diving at much more reasonable prices.

If you want the Caymans expect to pay a great deal more for everything. Still, everything will be first class. If money is not such an issue I would suggest visiting the Caymans. GC has some incredible sites and LC is worth the scary plane ride. There are trendy restaurants and shops in GC.

For more "dive for your buck" try Roatan. There is great diving there and many resorts that you could stay at for resonable prices.

Regarding Cayman dive ops: I must admit I did not like diving with DiveTech but many people on the board love them. I found the operation lacking in just about every way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom