How to get the best, sharpest footage possible off GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! I used the gopro anti fog inserts but I think it was so humid there that I still picked up moisture. Maybe just need to change the inserts for frequently. For part of the lionfish video I was demoing the Z-gear BCD mount (need to write my review soon). One of the things I learned about these hands free mounts is it's hard to check on stuff like bubbles on the filter. That drop was an errant bubble which I did not notice for the entire dive!

I too want to go to Cabo Pulmo again soon :)

I'm gonna just contact gopro and check on the focusing issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found myself using two inserts at a time. I would usually leave them for more than one dive if they were barely exposed to air (I was quick about open and closing the housing for battery swaps).

I'm on the fence with hands free mounts. I can barely keep my video with a tray still so I figure the video from mounts would be very shaky.

Hi everyone,

I just got my first GoPro and am going on a research expedition in two weeks so I don't have much time to learn how to use it well.

I've noticed a lot of footage is not sharp and a lot of footage has burn, even with filters on. How do you get beautiful imagery with this thing?

I'm familiar with the mounts for stabilizing and filters for color correcting, but what other tips and tricks do you have for getting high quality video?

Thank you so much!
:kiss2:

Hi noctiluca,
It's JennPenn from Backscatter. A few months ago we posted this guide to shooting GoPro underwater:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/475282-gopro-hero3-hero3-underwater-shooting-guide.html
Hope there are some tips in there that are useful for you. As you've probably figured out by now, the GoPro is a fantastic, affordable HD video camera that can take pretty good stills; however, it does have its limitations underwater. Once you know what its limitations are, you can get pretty amazing imagery, especially for the camera's size and cost.
Cheers!
JennPenn

I'm gonna just contact gopro and check on the focus issue.

Scuba ERDoc will you let me know what you find out? I am certain I have this issue with my GoPro. You may have seen me write earlier that it ruined my Hawaii video. I thought it was the filter! I haven't posted any of my video yet to Vimeo, I may need to if GoPro wants to examine it. Even though the video was my first in blue water, I'm not that rotten that I would be the source of the distortion/blur. I checked the serial number however it doesn't answer the question of it is/or isn't one of the early models. Your video is very nice in technique and stability, and I have subscribed to some new publishers, yourself included! Thankyou!

The Cabo Pulmo clip looks damn nice!!! I like the school of fishes!!! Need to start saving up for this trip. Is there any place in Asia having the same number of schooling fishes and also the seals?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will need to take still shots in bright light (outside) to see if you have any focus issues. The image will get some grain/noise in low light, it can also depend on the settings on the camera. A high FPS will not allow as much light into the sensor as a lower (30) FPS. More than likely GoPro will say to clean the lens and send them a well lit still photo to judge. If you search google you will be able to find pictures with the focus issue.

Also remember that if you post any still photo's to judge for the blur that they have to be straight from the camera. Do not modify or resize them because that will change the photo.

Back
Top Bottom