How to get sharp pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Post some pictures that you don't think are sharp. My bet is that there are some parts of the picture that are indeed sharp and the rest are not in the plane of sharpness. One thing to keep in mind is that if you are using the zoom to get closer plus the stacked diopters then you will have even less DOF than if you use the stacked lenses with the camera zoomed all the way out.

Bill

Thanks for your help everyone. Here are some photos. They are straight out of the camera, no cropping etc..

They dont look sharp to me. They aren't bad but they dont compare to yours Scott !

Probably I should try and use just one stacked on lense. Although if you look at
what some photographers are achieving (e.g. Bryan Mayes who uses a G9 and two stacked lenses and no strobe) it should be possible to get them pin sharp. Perhaps I just need more experience (Bali was only my 2nd photography trip)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way is it easier to get them sharp with an SLR ? (I have a 50D that I might one day take down).

Thanks so much,

Richard

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 109
Picture #1 looks like a DOF issue. To me, the pectoral? fin is tack sharp. #2 Also looks like a DOF issue. It looks to me like the focal plane is around the left antenna where is splits.

As previously mentioned, stacked lenses will give you a tiny DOF and shots like #2 are almost impossible to accomplish because there's so much depth to them and the slightest camera movement will alter the focal plane.

Thanks onewolf. By the way is it easier to take these photos, and get them sharp, with an SLR and a macro lense ?

Thanks

Actually I have to disagree with Scott a bit on this one at least from one point of view. Pic 1 and Pic 2 both have tack sharp areas of focus but they unfortunately aren't coincident with the part of the photo that you wanted sharp. You are limited by your DOF in this case. In general, P&S cameras have much more DOF for an equivalent photo than do DSLRs since small sensors have larger DOF than larger ones. What Scott meant and where I agree with him is that shooting a DSLR with a dedicated macro lens, it is easier to get sharp pics than with a P&S that doesn't have such a good dedicated macro capability. If you have to use doubled add on lenses then you are pushing the envelope of super macro (>1:1) witht equipment for which it ins't perfectly suited.
Bill

Actually I have to disagree with Scott a bit on this one at least from one point of view. Pic 1 and Pic 2 both have tack sharp areas of focus but they unfortunately aren't coincident with the part of the photo that you wanted sharp. You are limited by your DOF in this case. In general, P&S cameras have much more DOF for an equivalent photo than do DSLRs since small sensors have larger DOF than larger ones. What Scott meant and where I agree with him is that shooting a DSLR with a dedicated macro lens, it is easier to get sharp pics than with a P&S that doesn't have such a good dedicated macro capability. If you have to use doubled add on lenses then you are pushing the envelope of super macro (>1:1) witht equipment for which it ins't perfectly suited.
Bill

Well that's exactly what I am doing with my G11, Fix and double stacked 165 lenses. It's a struggle at times. I just keep taking shots. I have added a focus light to help the camera do it's work.

Well that's exactly what I am doing with my G11, Fix and double stacked 165 lenses. It's a struggle at times. I just keep taking shots. I have added a focus light to help the camera do it's work.

Some very nice pics in your flickr set, but which ones were with 2 165 lenses. I know lots of folks who are doing just that and you do get the benefit of shooting a small sensor camera with quite large DOF but in general it is very tough. BTW do you have an idea on how much additional magnification you get with two lenses compared with one. Shoot a dime (UW) with the camera in macro mode then with one and then with two lenses and see how much extra magnification you can get.

Bill

Of course, the advantage of the DSLR is that it will have better higher iso response if you need to work without a strobe for some reason. There truly is no such thing as a free lunch.
Coop

Back
Top Bottom