How to get invited back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great post
also while sailing; step away from the wheel, don't get very close to Capt all the time, don't stick to the console, take a quick snap then get back unless you have been asked to stay.

11. Thank the capt. on the way in. Be appreciative. DO NOT ASK IF YOU CAN HELP WITH GAS. Fuel is $4.50 a gallon on the water.
Above post is from 2013.
11. Thank the capt. on the way in. Be appreciative. DO NOT ASK IF YOU CAN HELP WITH GAS. Fuel is $4.50 a gallon on the water.
This one was from this year.

I was surprised that fuel hasn’t really gone up in 10 years. There have been lower points, but the 2013 prices are still what to expect today. My boat is on a trailer, so I usually fill up at land based stations, so a little less, but definitely not cheap.

Your list Is spot on. Unless I’m married to you, or you are one of my kids, you really aren’t guaranteed a ride on my boat.

My usual crew are pretty good. I don’t need to wash the boat, they take care of it. That’s why they are often invited back. One has even made a game of where to hide gas money. He’s a real good friend, so I sometimes refused. Most recently, he put money in my pocket while my hands were occupied with tanks. He’s also a boat owner, so understands what it costs.
We used a letter designation between us.

A team brings gas money, food , can operate the boat, shows up on time, helps clean up. Doesn't bring the whole dive shop and is competent.

B team brings gas money, food, shows up on time but is not comfortable without guidance or can't drive.

C team has to be hounded about any of the above

D team are the people you wouldn't want onboard unless you really really wanted to dive and no one else could go.
I like that. My usual crew is A-B. I’m definitely in A when I go on others’ boats as they’ve asked me to take the helm from time to time.

C and D would definitely have me questioning whether I really want to go. Luckily, I have kids that dive as well, so if I want to go, I don’t need an excuse. They are both teenage girls, though so I’m not exactly sure that they are anywhere above C. I don’t expect them to pay anything, but the on-time thing is a concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom