How to get invited back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If people we took out on the boat had offered to help with the cleanup, instead of offering to pay for gas, we might not be selling the boat. Gas we can handle; the hours of work to clean the boat after diving took the fun out of it for me.

After reading this, I feel like I went on a date and now the girl won't call me. I've only gone out once with someone on their private boat to dive. It was awesome. I asked ahead of time, what should I bring? I was told not to bring anything, even then I asked are you sure, what about drinks at least? I had a boat a long time ago, so I knew to help get the boat in the water and I knew to help clean up afterwards. So we went out, had a great time, I showed motivation to assist at anything which needed assisting. I helped get the boat in the water, loaded my own gear, put it where and how I was told, I took great motivation in cleaning the boat, I helped clean the catch, and offered to assist with gas. I was told not to worry about the gas and the capt wouldn't accept any money. After everything was done, we talked about diving. He was showing me all his lobster gear in his shed and let me borrow a piece of equipment, which I promptly returned to his home after I used it on a dive a few days later. I'm the friend of a friend and I think I'm a victim of my common friend breaking many of those rules. I know us going out was more of an earned favor to him, which is why I think I was told not to pitch in money or food. The capt loaned me gear and I got a Facebook invite, so I must have done something right. I also know the capt fills his boat easily, so I'm hoping it's not something I've done and there'll be that one day where there's a spare seat and a message in my inbox.

Maybe he just didn't the way you looked in your swimsuit? :wink:

j/k man - you sound like a good guy to have on a boat - if you are ever in the Tampa area, let me know!

After reading this, I feel like I went on a date and now the girl won't call me. I've only gone out once with someone on their private boat to dive. It was awesome. I asked ahead of time, what should I bring? I was told not to bring anything, even then I asked are you sure, what about drinks at least? I had a boat a long time ago, so I knew to help get the boat in the water and I knew to help clean up afterwards. So we went out, had a great time, I showed motivation to assist at anything which needed assisting. I helped get the boat in the water, loaded my own gear, put it where and how I was told, I took great motivation in cleaning the boat, I helped clean the catch, and offered to assist with gas. I was told not to worry about the gas and the capt wouldn't accept any money. After everything was done, we talked about diving. He was showing me all his lobster gear in his shed and let me borrow a piece of equipment, which I promptly returned to his home after I used it on a dive a few days later. I'm the friend of a friend and I think I'm a victim of my common friend breaking many of those rules. I know us going out was more of an earned favor to him, which is why I think I was told not to pitch in money or food. The capt loaned me gear and I got a Facebook invite, so I must have done something right. I also know the capt fills his boat easily, so I'm hoping it's not something I've done and there'll be that one day where there's a spare seat and a message in my inbox.

I don't look very good in one and thanks!

After Last Sunday's Dive, it time to print a reminder....

In South Florida and the Keys, the best way to enjoy the reefs and wrecks is to dive on a private vessel.

So as a boat owner, who frequently dives with friends and occasionally friends of friends, and sometimes want to open a vein than spend another second with some interesting passengers, here are a few do's and don'ts which will give you a better-than-average chance of being invited back.

1. BE ON TIME. nuff said. If you are meeting at a home where the boat is docked, car pool if possible. Generally the fewer cars at the house the better.

2. Don't board until you are asked.... wait for the capt. before you grab a line. If you are not sure, ask.... please ask.

3. Don't expect the captain to lug your gear. The capt. more than likely has his stuff on board and the boat ready. You and other invited guests load the boat. The capt. will tell you where to stow gear. Don't BS around, we want to get going. If you have questions, ask.....please ask.

4. Don't come empty handed. Unless you are told otherwise, drinks, snacks etc... are your responsibility. You don't need to provide a gourmet dinner.... just don't cheap out and show up with an opened bag of chips and half a gatorade.

5. Make sure your gear is in working order the night before. If you have any doubts, go to a local dive shop and rent what you may need. Don't expect the Capt. or other passengers to lend you gear. The thinking is that if you can't keep your stuff working, I don't want you using mine.

6. Bring your own spare o-rings, weights and mask defog. I don't get mine for free either.

7. The capt. should give you instruction where to get your gear together. If you are not sure, ask... please ask.

8. Okay, we're heading out.... please don' tell the capt. what the boat needs. My guess he is well aware of how the vessel is equipped and what other options are available.

9. Please don't "suggest" any operating assistance to the captain (at least until you are asked or have earned credibility as a regular crew member. Not that you may have valid suggestions, but things are learned and implemented over time. Get a little experience with the vessel and personalities, otherwise you come across as a know-it-all. If we wanted to dive with the "experts", we would just go on the cattle boats.

10. Follow any instructions regarding diving. This is your first trip just bear with it. If you can't live with it, feign a headache and decline to dive. That means if you dived with Cousteau we really don't care. It is your first time aboard making you a rookie. An experienced capt. will recognize your dive qualifications by your behavior. He will accommodate your ability as he deems reasonable.

11. Thank the capt. on the way in. Be appreciative. DO NOT ASK IF YOU CAN HELP WITH GAS. Fuel is $4.50 a gallon on the water. Of course you can. Most vessels over 28 ft get 1.0 -2.5 miles/gallon when running at speed. Not to mention oil for 2 strokes, maintenance etc... I would say just give the capt. 30 dollars for a local trip. You are still way ahead compared to paying $100+ going on a cattle boat to dive with God-Knows-Who. You might even get some back. Once you are a regular crew member, the capt. might not even take money. I can tell you the owner never makes money taking friends out on a boat. They truly are money pits. The fact is the owner is going whether you are along or not. Your money is more a sign of appreciation than anything else. (This doesn't apply for keys or bahamas trips where expenses will be split accordingly.)

12. The trip doesn't end at the dock. Again.... don't ask if you can help with the boat, rather ask, "Where is the deck brush and soap?" or something like that. Usually a genuine offer to help is more than enough.

13. Tell the capt. you enjoyed it and would like to go again. If you don't get a call, figure you were a blind date that went bad. If you get the call... congratulations.... you made the cut!

14. The idea is to have fun..... no one wants to be Capt. Bligh. So if you are not sure just ask.... please ask.

15. BTW if you are a regular and you dive all year and don't pay for gas, and want to show your appreciation, it would be a nice gesture for the group chip in to get the boat professionally detailed once a year. It would knock the captains socks off. Make sure you can access the boat without getting in trouble.

... If you don't get a call, figure you were a blind date that went bad.
All the captains talk to each other and they talk about their passengers. It's a very small community and a passenger's reputation (good or bad) quickly gets told around to others.

After Last Sunday's Dive, it time to print a reminder....

In South Florida and the Keys, the best way to enjoy the reefs and wrecks is to dive on a private vessel.
…..
Makes me wonder what happened on last Sunday’s dive!

And as both an aspiring boat owner and S. FL resident (someday…) this is a helpful topic.

What's a two tank trip on the cattle boat cost? Plus you will dive on areas the dive boats rarely frequent. You invite someone and as they're getting their stuff in their car they ask, "Did you want gas money?" Your could hear my eyes roll. Kind of like getting a handshake after a 1st date.

We used a letter designation between us.

A team brings gas money, food , can operate the boat, shows up on time, helps clean up. Doesn't bring the whole dive shop and is competent.

B team brings gas money, food, shows up on time but is not comfortable without guidance or can't drive.

C team has to be hounded about any of the above

D team are the people you wouldn't want onboard unless you really really wanted to dive and no one else could go.

Area can determine expenses as well as boat size.
A 100mile run to the FL Middle grounds could easily take $200 person in expenses. A trip in the Keys in a skiff may use $20 total.

Dockage and insurance can be expensive as well , sometimes more than the boat payment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom