How to get half topside/half underwater shots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMD123:
Sorry I dont know how to just stick a photo in the text...

Hey you, please return my dog :winky:

I would have never ever thought to try one of these shots. After reading this, I can't wait to give it a try. I only have a Canon Power Shot S70 but it takes some really good pics. I will give it a try.

SuperBug, I guess there is no-way to take out that center line that blurs between the topside photo and the underwater portion? Do you think had you held the camera differently that would of helped?

SuPrBuGmAn:
Here's an old one I have... not the greatest.

HalfnHalf.sized.jpg

That's way better than the ones I've tried. Nice shot!

JMD123:
Thanks... Its really easy to do when you have a DSLR with a large dome port... Its really tough not even sure its doable with a point & shoot...
Really? Maybe that explains why I can't get those shots.:(

SuPrBuGmAn:
Here's an old one I have... not the greatest.

HalfnHalf.sized.jpg
OK, but tell me how you got it? Do you have an SLR?

SuPrBuGmAn "not the greatest"??? Looks awfully good to me :)

Those over-under shots are tough, here is a almost winner...

Jump off point on Star Dancer
File0043.jpg

here is the first one i ever did over in indonesia last year. it was a pretty bright day. i shot it with a canon 350D using a 15mm fisheye
inside an 8" dome. had dual ike ds-125 strobes set on full power below the water. f-stop was 14 and i adjusted the shutter speed
accordingly to get the correct exposure (1/100). ended up turning out okay for my first one. now im hooked, and cant wait to try
some more in a few months.

Over_Under.sized.jpg

Sunny days, 11 to 1 with the sun at your back, shallow water, the larger the dome the better,
the smaller the dome the larger the water line. I'm not an expert. These are just the few things
that I have found out on my own.

DSC_2658x.jpg

DSC_2660x.jpg

DSCN3718.jpg

I can't wait to try these.
I think I will try shallow, very calm water first.
So much to learn and so little time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom