How to get comfortable with night diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narced Out

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I need some tips on how to ge comfortable in the water at night. Im looking towards being a special forces combat diver for the army and i know its key to be comfortable in the water at night.

Ive only done 3 night dives, any tips..?

Find a good dive buddy and do it more.

Narced, if you are really planning on being a combat diver, I can assure you, they will train you well enough that you will be comfortable on a night dive before they ever actually let you dive a real mission.

To prepare for it more, just do more night dives. I've only done one, but plan to do many many more. I Loved it.

+1 on the "do it more often".

Do a lot of twilight dives . . . you tend to stay comfortable as the water darkens (at least IMHO).

Yes, the military diver training will train you, but why not get a head start? :wink:

Narced, if you are really planning on being a combat diver, I can assure you, they will train you well enough that you will be comfortable on a night dive before they ever actually let you dive a real mission.

To prepare for it more, just do more night dives. I've only done one, but plan to do many many more. I Loved it.

Ditto. And bring lots of light!:wink:

Always remember that the Kraken is just out of sight. :rofl3:
But really, if you are hesitant with your night diving think of what is making you nervous. If you are unsure about your diving skill do more day time dives. If you are expecting to bump into something large unexpectely check local fish/reptile guides to see what you may come across during the dive. If you are worried about entry/exit just take it slow and make use of your flash lights, rolling an ankle with 100+lbs of gear on sucks.
Just break the dive down to the individual parts and find where your problem is, then work on that problem.

Good luck!

I need some tips on how to ge comfortable in the water at night. Im looking towards being a special forces combat diver for the army and i know its key to be comfortable in the water at night.

Do more night dives, sure.

But do a lot of "low/poor/no viz" dives as well. There are plenty of dives that are dark that are NOT done at night. Unless combat divers start doing reef assaults I'd recommend gaining experience in a wide variety of "night dive like" environments.

Hell, come dive here in NJ - most of our dives are like night dives!

:shocked2:

I think you need to examine what is making you uncomfortable. Nothing physically changes with the water; therefore, it is in your head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom