How to get a bicycle to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1KWIK_69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'd love to somehow get my mountain bike to Cozumel. Any ideas of how to get it there that wouldn't cost more than renting a car? I've seen some bicycle carriers advertised online that are made for air travel, but the dimensions are bigger than the combined inches that the airlines give for a normal checked bag?

Bike to California and make a Left.

I actually have no idea but I am certain you can rent one there somewhere. It will not be as good as your super carbon fiber tofu bike but it will have round wheels and peddles.

Check with your airline. Read some about it on another board. Some apparently sell a box for bikes and then take it for a set fee. Some guy got two bikes in one box for one fee.

That someone was me. Unfortunately, it is the dimensions that would get you from being able to check it as luggage with no fee. The fees are just not cost effective if you don't plan on leaving the bike in Cozumel as you would have to pay the fees on the return also. Now, if you had several people traveling & were able to break it down into multiple boxes of less than 62 linear inches each, you might be in business. Of course you'd use up your baggage allowance & have to pay for an extra bag if you wanted to take clothes, scuba equipment or anything else, so you're back to square one.

If you had someone that lives there & had room to store a bike, that would eliminate the return charges. Or, you could buy one at Mega, Chadraui or Elektra & do the same thing, but you'd probably be spending $150-$200 for a bike. Haven't checked prices or availability at the new Sam's yet.

No easy way...wish there was.

Mike

Several years ago I went to the local airport and bought or they gave me a Continental box for bikes. Take it apart and put in the box. The clerk was not sure of
the cost to ship.

Then I found out it would cost me about $100 to ship it because of it's oversized shape. It wasn't worth it to me. Instead I just strapped two on the back of my car six years ago and drove down with a car of stuff.

I realize this is not practical for you. Check out cozumelmycozumel website. There was just a posting about someone that had an excellent rental experience.

Reactions: Jax
Yes! This is off of CMC today:
We recently used Sombrero Rentals to rent bicycles for a week in Cozumel. We were very impressed with their service and reasonable rates. They delivered the bikes on schedule and picked them up as well. We had a problem with one bike and they were there to replace it within hours after being e-mailed. They have a website at Scooter and bike Rentals in Cozumel Mexico. Our contact was Rogelio.

Bike to California and make a Left.

Hit the Yucatan and make another left.

Get a really, really, really big scuba tank and keep riding.

I had even thought about just taking one of the 4 day cruises out of Galveston, but I don't think any of the cruiselines let you take bikes aboard anymore.

I think for Kwik, it would be easier to just ride thru Texas, since he is in Kansas....can you imagine trying to ride through the border part of Mexico on a bike! I don't know if I'd have the guts to even take a car through there now.

Mike

Sombrero has Scott 18s mountain bikes for rent. Unless you plan to store the bike down here for use on repeated trips, it probably doesn't pay to fly it down. I've seen passengers with bikes come off the Norwegian ships, but those aren't supposed to be left in the country after final boarding time since cruise passengers & their things don't go through MX customs.

Back
Top Bottom