How to get a bicycle to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bought two new hybrids in March and brought them down in the original box on US Airways. Paid $75 each but it was worth it for us since we keep them in Coz. We bought our tickets back in Oct 2010 and the airline upped the fee shortly afterward to $175 for each oversize piece checked so it wouldn't be worth it now.

Yes! This is off of CMC today:
We recently used Sombrero Rentals to rent bicycles for a week in Cozumel. We were very impressed with their service and reasonable rates. They delivered the bikes on schedule and picked them up as well. We had a problem with one bike and they were there to replace it within hours after being e-mailed. They have a website at Scooter and bike Rentals in Cozumel Mexico. Our contact was Rogelio.
Thanks. Been wondering who would rent a decent bicycle down there. Those Scott bikes aren't too bad. I'd rather have my GT with me, but for $13 a day to rent a Scott from Sombrero versus hundred to get my own bike there, it's a no brainer. :)

I put a lot of miles on my bike and the island is flat, so it seemed like a great combo since I'm avoiding renting cars most of the time now that they've made the liability laws a lot more severe in CZM. I'm really worried about driving around a corner and having some local scam artist "accidentally" stepping off a curb and being bumped by my fender, leaving me in jail until I fork over many thousands of dollars to him.

Last time I drove there, a guy did step out and I swear he was tring to get hit on purpose! It's a good thing I have fast reflexes.

Last edited:
Frontier Air only charges $20 for a bike but it is included as a checked bag.

Frontier is removing the flat fee for checked bicycles and will now include them in the standard baggage allowance, meaning customers traveling on Classic or Classic Plus fares can include their bike as one of their two complimentary checked bags and Economy passengers would pay $20 if the bike is one of their first two checked bags. Bikes will be exempt from any oversize fees, but subject to overweight fees and excess bag fees, if applicable. This is similar to the carrier’s current policy for golf clubs and skis.

Frontier Airlines Newsroom: Frontier Airlines Makes Travel Better and Different with New Guest Enhancements

Sounds like you may just have to rent one. I love to bike every morning before diving.
The dive shop I was using let me borrow theirs every day, no charge. (Big tip at the end of our stay was in order).

I went to the bike shop near my place and they gave me a bike box that they received their bikes in. I just took the peddles off, turned the handle bars, put an extra layer of cardboard over the wheel area taped it up and the cost was 100 dollars for the shipping. I leave that bike down on Coz. I also have a scooter there. Next is a van. I want to drive to Belize and dive one day.

I went to the bike shop near my place and they gave me a bike box that they received their bikes in. I just took the peddles off, turned the handle bars, put an extra layer of cardboard over the wheel area taped it up and the cost was 100 dollars for the shipping. I leave that bike down on Coz. I also have a scooter there. Next is a van. I want to drive to Belize and dive one day.

Question about the scooter.....can you buy one & register on tourist visa, or do you need FM2 or FM3? Been thinking about one for those trips that are a bit far for the bicycles. The Italika's are dirt cheap.

Mike

My ultimate dream vehicle for CZM would be my lifted Jeep CJ-7 with fiberglass body. It would be perfect for hauling dive gear. When I was there in April, I kept day dreaming about having it there with the bike rack and GT on the back. :D

I'd love to do the Belize drive some time! When driving to Coba in 2008, as we were going through Tulum, it occured to me that all we had to do was keep going South for a bit longer and we would be there. I doubt car rental places in Mexico would be too thrilled about customers taking their cars out of the country. :no:

If you have a nice mountain bike, you will want to ride your own in mexico....I would try using a shipping service like UPS, or other. Price them for weight and dimensions. The mountain bike is light, and with the wheels and handlebars off, it will not have huge dimensions. If you can ship the bike a few weeks early, and have the hotel or the shipper hold the box for you, this would be most ideal for pricing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom