How to for a Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to get stuck on a ship or have an ordinary sailors job. I want to be a diver. Thank you anyone who can help

When I enlisted in the Navy, I was told I qualified for anything the Navy had to offer, well not quite! Several schools I wanted required a six year enlistment. I was prior service Army and went in a PO2. Recruiters bend the truth at times to get you to sign on the line....... If you don't want to get stuck on a ship, try something else. The U.S. Navy doesn't do a lot of inland diving.......

The only thing I will add is that as a full time diver, you should plan to be in the water A LOT, regardless of conditions, doing basically grunt work repairing, inspecting, or retrieving stuff. I was a Navy Diver as a secondary job on Submarines. Anytime in any port for any reason during any season I was in the water. This included freezing seawater conditions in Nova Scotia in just a wet suit, diving in polluted harbors where you couldn't get the taste out of your mouth after, and diving with so many jellyfish one person had to just keep finning at my back to keep most of them away. Was fine for me, as I have always loved the water, was a fish as a kid. For some it got old pretty quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom