How to fold and stow the lift bag in the backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There used to be a thread here with pictures of how to correctly fold and stow a lift bag in the backplate pocket so that it could actually be retrieved and deployed. Unfortunately the piccys have gone. Does anyone have, or know where I can find online, instructions for how to do this?

You need to first use vertical folds to get the width of the bag small enough to fit in the backplate. Then you want to use horizontal folds in an accordion style to get the height of the bag small enough to fit. Its important to use an accordion fold, since otherwise you have to drag the whole thing out at once and it tends to hang up and jam. No pics, hope that description helps though...

Pics would definitely help. I use a 100# smb for my lift right now, as well as to hang by. I will definitely try the accordion fold. Been needing a better way to store it.

You need to first use vertical folds to get the width of the bag small enough to fit in the backplate. Then you want to use horizontal folds in an accordion style to get the height of the bag small enough to fit. Its important to use an accordion fold, since otherwise you have to drag the whole thing out at once and it tends to hang up and jam. No pics, hope that description helps though...
Thanks, I'll give that a go. I'm off to play with the DIR divers in a couple of weeks anyway, so if I really get stuck I'll get them to show me then.

Its important to keep the dump valve low and near the opening. It really digs into your back otherwise. Owee

It looks like the pics got dropped from the old thread. Here they are again. All pictures are taken from the same orientation. I don't think this is the fold lamont is talking about but it works for me. The dump valve ends up in the channel of the plate. YMMV.

Actually that is basically what I'm talking about, only rotated 90 degrees...

I think with my 4.5' SMB that I've just got one fold to make it narrower, but with the lift bags they're wide enough that you probably want two like that...

It looks like the pics got dropped from the old thread. Here they are again. All pictures are taken from the same orientation. I don't think this is the fold lamont is talking about but it works for me. The dump valve ends up in the channel of the plate. YMMV.

Hey thanks - that's what I was looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom