How to fold and stow the lift bag in the backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent info - thanks guys. I tried it today with the Halcyon lift bag and it was easy enough to pull out of the backplate storage pack.

What's currently the recommended DIR liftbag/SMB stowing option for those without a backplate pad other than a thigh pocket? Are those Dive-Rite type "quick-draw" sleeves that attach to the bottom of the plate okay?

What's currently the recommended DIR liftbag/SMB stowing option for those without a backplate pad other than a thigh pocket? Are those Dive-Rite type "quick-draw" sleeves that attach to the bottom of the plate okay?

According to Frogkick.nl - De Online Gids voor DIR Duiken - Doing It Right Duiken it's either the backplate storage or a thigh pocket. Of course, Halcyon also makes zipper pockets which fit on the harness belt, which are presumably acceptable.

But why don't you have a storage pack on the backplate?

But why don't you have a storage pack on the backplate?

Who sells them and do they fit all backplates? I have two medium DSS plates (steel and kydex). Are they worth it? Seems like they would get in the way of the wingnuts/thumbwheels, and what if you use a channel/V/sausage weight pouch?

Who sells them and do they fit all backplates? I have two medium DSS plates (steel and kydex). Are they worth it? Seems like they would get in the way of the wingnuts/thumbwheels, and what if you use a channel/V/sausage weight pouch?

Halcyon certainly sells them separately (name is MC Storage Pak). Probably other brands do too. Most vaguely tec orientated shops should have them.

They do cover the wingnuts but still let you get to them easily enough. Normally you leave one of the bottom mounting bolts off so you can get to the bottom wingnut.

I think they're worth it because you can easily put a lift bag in there :)

I find the back plate Storage Pak a pretty neat gadget.
One must be carefull to pull the lift bag out from the side it is clipped on the D-ring, otherwise it will bind in the crotch strap when coming out.

I don't know that the Halcyon MC storage pack will fit other plates, since the spacing of holes on various manuf. plates varies dramatically.

DIR answer is probably thigh pocket, but this didn't come up in Fundies, so I'm not sure. I know a common solution is to use two loops bungee and attach it to the bottom of your plate, that may be an acceptable option.

I think there are one or two other companies (OMS, Zeagle and perhaps OxyCheq?) that make similar storage packs for their plates, so you may want to explore that option. I don't think Tobin makes one for DSS plates, however. Might be a good suggestion for him. :)

Smb, in your pocket. Real lift bag, rolled up and bungeed across the bottom of the plate.

Tobin

Storage pockets / pads are plate specific. I haven't tried it, but I would assume that a channel weight / p weight would preclude storing much between the plate and diver as there would be little volume left.

Tobin

I don't know that the Halcyon MC storage pack will fit other plates, since the spacing of holes on various manuf. plates varies dramatically.

True.

DIR answer is probably thigh pocket, but this didn't come up in Fundies, so I'm not sure. I know a common solution is to use two loops bungee and attach it to the bottom of your plate, that may be an acceptable option.

Always worked for me.

I don't think Tobin makes one for DSS plates, however. Might be a good suggestion for him. :)

DSS plates are quite flat in overall bend compared to most others, and the center channel is much more shallow on a DSS plate compared to most other plates. This is an advantage in terms of fit, comfort, and reduced tank offset when diving single tanks, but it leaves very little room between the plate and the diver for storage.

This is why we do not offer a plate pocket, it would not be very useful IMO.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom