How to find your instructor - is cheap better ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the field of diving instruction are a lot of diving instructors who offer the best or highest level of training but charge rock bottom prices. ........................Dive Instructors who live on the financial edge could be prone to sloppy instruction to shortcut the educational process to get to the next training program and student. Cheap instruction and courses with a heavy discount in conjunction with cheap and inferior equipment are not the best foundation for a solid diving education.

This doesn't sound like "best or highest level of training" to me.

A quality instructor is going to be worth any price you pay...

Ken

Lowest cost doesn't always mean best quality (or value).

Does it bother anyone except me that when you drive across a bridge, or lean out over a railing on some observation tower 100 feet off the ground, that all these things were made by the 'lowest bidder'?

How to find your instructor - is cheap better ?

Well, when you say it like that...

To put a different spin on your question there are many on this board that feel nearly all commercial instruction is near worthless. The phrase is something like "cert. cards don't mean anything". If you feel that way, you might as well get the fastest, cheapest cert possible that will get you air at the shop, and then find the concerned, highly competent (and hopefully free) mentor.
In those terms, yes, cheap is better.
Hey, recreational scuba ain't brain surgury.

Probably, but that's not what he said.

Well he said "offer the best or highest level of training".

I can offer you a million dollars for your snorkel right now: doesn't mean you're ever going to see that money. I can offer guitar lessons that will turn you into the next Hendrix: doesn't mean you'll actually get that quality of instruction. I *think* that was his point anyways ...

yo

I have written an article and posted the entry on our ProTec blog under Protec Advanced Training Facility — Protec Blog in regards to 'How to find your Instructor - is cheap better ?'

Price and quality aren't related.

Cheap could mean "fast and awful", or it could mean a great business model and a successful shop staffed by professionals from various fields who teach SCUBA because they love it, and not for the money.

Conversely, an expensive class could indicate nothing more than greed, or a first-rate instructor who wants to get paid.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom