How to find Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pclark2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning to do a lot of diving this summer in the middle keys (specifically off Long Key where I live but also down towards Marathon and possibly towards Islamorada). I know this is odd request, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for how to find the invasive lionfish? The only one I saw last summer was on a night dive just cruising along the sand. I am interested in getting a lot of underwater photos of these guys and then removing them from the reef if possible (at the very least reporting them to REEF). I just have no clue how to go about finding these fish. I have read about the derbies and roundups where a single boat can bring in over a hundred in a single day.

The photos I want since I am trying to sell underwater photos printed on note cards. I figure a photo of a lionfish with a description on the back talking about how they are invasive and damaging to the reef would be a good idea. And I want to remove the fish from the reef for obvious reasons. Everyone has to do their part.

Spear them, don't report them.

I read that once they learn to fear divers, they are much more difficult to find.
Make the first shot count!

good to know. I plan to get a pole spear to use for them. I just have to find them first

and just poke them and leave them to die. Maybe something will learn to eat them.

But make sure they are dead. I've speared a few that came off the the liontamer and swam away with a hole through 'em.

Good to know. And are there any special type of hiding spots they like? I went diving on Monday through Dive Duck Key and didn't see any, but of course visibility wasn't best.

You won't find them swimming out in the open. Or at least I haven't seen any out in the blue. Look low on the reefs, near overhangs, or tucked in close to a coral head. Often they are motionless and all you see are the pectoral fins, so look for spikey lines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom