How to explain new purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchase a lot of cold and warm water gear but my husband is only a warm water diver. When questioned why I need a third pair of fins or a second dry suit, I put one hand on my hip, and while flicking my hair back with the other I say, "because my happiness is worth it...." I no longer get the question- just a rolling of the eyes and a head shaking. ;-)

After item two, you're in such deep dudo, nothing you say will fix it.

I find it works better to buy the equipment on a 'diving trip for you' and a vacation for her.

Stan

Open up a separate checking account, they probably will not notice different equipment as much as you notice that new pair of shoes or new dress

TSandM:
There's always the time-honored female strategy of bringing the new purchase home and secreting it somewhere. Then, a few weeks later, you can bring it out, and when your spouse says, "Is that new?", you answer, "Oh, no, I've had this for AGES."
That's my techique. If you want, take it one step further. Tie the shiny new gear to trail behind your foot, and take it for a walk around the block. By the time you get back home, it will look used! Then, if she does notice something different, you explain the old gear broke and you didn't want to spend a lot of money so you replaced it with some used gear. :angel:

The Ultimate Solution

Move to Mexico abruptly and leave no forwarding address. Return after you're finished, claim you were abducted by aliens from under the sea. Which is why you needed underwater equipment. So you could escape. If they try to say anything, tell them that the government wiped your memories of the event.

Alternately:
Buy her something she wants too to soften the blow. How good are you at shopping for jewellery?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom