How to estimate a fair price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johanan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have not tried to sell any of my gear yet, but I obviously should. When you offer your items for sale, how do you estimate a reasonable and fair price to start with? Are there any guidelines or principles on the resale market? For instance, I have a used Mares Icon HD and a Aladin 2G computer, and a pair of Hoolis F1 yellow tips, or a pair of Fusion boots, which I do not need. What would be a resell value of them?

It varies among some dive brands and models but from what I usually see things are sold about 40-50% of what it can be had for brand new, sometimes less, sometimes more. It also depends on the market your trying to sell it to. Now this is just my opinion but for instance as far as the Icon goes (MAP $749.95) a technical/ cave diver may opt to spend $100 more for a Perdix or find a used one. Petrels can be found at very good prices now in the $500-$600 range and can take a diver to any level they wish to go and have great customer support to back it up, also free software updates. Seems like you could get $300-$400 for the Icon however I do not have much experience with Mares. As far as the Aladin, depends on if it's console or wrist but you may could get $150, maybe less or more, I think it's discontinued but I'm sure parts can still be had. From my experience selling scuba gear, decide on a fair firm price to begin with and include shipping, PayPal 3% into your price. Be patient with it and don't go to price dropping every 12 hours like I see a lot of people do. eBay is also a good place but factor in the 10% total fees between eBay and PayPal when deciding how much you need to get for it. Try the swap and shops on FB also, it's free to list on there, I've sold a lot on there with great results! Good luck with selling everything!

It's difficult to pin down a value for used gear.
Sometimes half of retail is what some things end up selling for.
Older HID canister lights, BCs, Shearwater Predator and Liquivision X-1 computers, and fins come to mind. These items frequently sell for 50% or less of the retail price.

Depending on age and condition, you can get more, perhaps up to 75% of retail.
Newer Shearwater Petrel and Perdix computers, lithium battery equipped primary lights, some newer brands of BCS, or Halcyon backplate/wing setups are some examples. Keep in mind doing that 75% is pushing it.

Personally, I'm not going to pay much more than 75% of the retail for anything that's used.
I'll look for a new one at a discount instead.

How motivated are you to sell?
If you want to move something quick, and want to free up some cash, target around 50% of the retail price.

If you aren't in that big of a hurry for the money, and are selling just to get rid of some excess gear, start around 70% or so and go from there.

It really depends on age, condition, brand, and how quick you want to move it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay more than half retail for used gear, less with more wear.

My particular theory, when selling my gear, is to find a new diver and sell cheap. If I've gotten my money out of it I just pass it along, as others have done for me.

@Pullmyfinger has the sellers view, and I would take his advice if I didn't have my own rules.

Bob

I agree with this^^^ I won't pay more than 1/2 of retail for any gear, no matter how much I want it. Less with obvious defects.

I recently encountered someone selling a number of tanks--mostly doubles, and he was asking almost to the dollar what you would have to pay buying from any of the online shops. He is not getting any takers. You have to use your head. What would YOU be willing to pay for used gear?

I have used eBay to sell many things. You can do a search for your item and see what the going price is. I have had my best luck when I start the bidding at $1 with no reserve and set the ending time to Sunday evening around 7:00 PM. Always take PayPal - that way, you will have your money where it is easiest to spend. Most important, be sure to take good photos and make a great write-up.

I recently encountered someone selling a number of tanks--mostly doubles, and he was asking almost to the dollar what you would have to pay buying from any of the online shops. He is not getting any takers. You have to use your head. What would YOU be willing to pay for used gear?
Tanks are different for me at least. I charge $400 for a set of steel doubles regardless of size as long as they are in perfect condition. Tanks don't wear out or need adjustment. I think retail on Faber 100's with manifold is around $650.

Search eBay SOLD history and classifieds forum on scubaboard.

What you would pay.... If you do that... Everyone is happy.. What to get rid of it FAST,,, Price it at a "I can't pass on this "

Jim..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom